Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's all happening!  (Read 2329 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
It's all happening!
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
Just wanted to say thank-you for all of the advice i have been given recently. We have decided to take the plunge and the last week has been crazy with making preperations! We will be collecting our first British Lop pigs in 2 weeks time. Two for us and one for the landowner. We are going to visit the lovely and very helpful breeder tomorrow and see the pigs and have a chat. Holding number should arrive any day, vet has been found, found a lovely local abattoir and butcher who i have spoken to, land is being stock fenced this weekend and electric fencing is on order, several books have been read along with a LOT of online info, cheap pig feed sourced, water supply sorted, working on a fruit and veg supply. Just hope i have prepared enough!!

They will be on a 20x20m ish pen to start with straw ark. We will then decide whether the land can take more pigs next time or whether we need to negotiate more land but i am assured there is enough land to fatten several pigs there, we shall see!

Very excited and very grateful for all the support and advice we have recieved both here and in real life. I'm sure i will have many more questions over the coming weeks and months  :)

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
Re: It's all happening!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:15 pm »
Brilliant!! Exciting isn't it. You'll be amazed how much pleasure they bring  :)
I love mine  :) xxx
Lots of Luck to you x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:54 pm »
Sounds like you've done a great job. You'll find pigs are great timewasters - so best get all the work done now  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:00:28 am »
Enjoy your pigs, hope they will be the first of many.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:23 am »
Very exciting!!  :pig: :pig: they are great time wasters!! I find allsorts of excuses to go and spend time with ours, belly rubs and scratching. You wont get much done in the house now but it will still be there when your gone ;D enjoy and dont forget some pics for us
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
Just a quick note to wish you luck and well done for choosing Lops as they're a struggling breed and well in need of promotion. Hope all goes well, sounds like you're well prepared.
All the best
Mandy  :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »
Why are British Lops struggling?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »
They've been on the RBST as risk register for a number of years as their numbers have diminished over the years and their breeding numbers are quite low, i believe however they are on the up and have been moved up to 'vulnerable' status so still some way to go to make them safe.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »
Enjoy  ;D ;D ;D
 :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS