Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A wrong pigs ear!  (Read 3184 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
A wrong pigs ear!
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
Hi all,

When i was feeding and going round my pigs this morning i noticed that one of my 16 week olds had something wrong with its ear, on closer inspection one ear was swollen up and was hanging down and seemed full of fluid. The ear was painfull to the touch but the piglet seemed happy enough otherwise and was eating normally.
 I assumed that the ear was infected and full of puss so decided to nick a hole in it to drain it down but when i eventually managed to get him to cooperate and cut the skin a lot of watery blood spurted out, i cleaned him up and gave the cut a dousing with antiseptic spray.

I'm now wondering what caused the problem and if its a common thing with pigs, was it something like a blood blister that caused the swelling or an infection and should i get a course of antibiotics from the vets just to make sure?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Rob
Rob & Manda :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: A wrong pigs ear!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »
are they tagged yet?  could this be the cause?
 it sounds like "cauliflour ear" like rugby players get (!) from your description, is this right?
 or an injury, like it being chewed on...

If the antiseptic spray doesnt seem to clear it up, maybe antibiotics are needed...
  are the others all healthy otherwise?
no excessive itching, skin problems or anything?
Little Blue

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »
 It looked a bit like a cauliflower ear but he hasn't got any tags yet. Him and his brothers and sisters are very active and playful so it could be that hes picked up a battle wound, i cant see any other problems with any of them  and they are all acting normally.I'm just going to have to keep a close eye on his ear for signs of it getting any worse.
Thanks Rob

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43:53 pm »
then Im sure he'll be fine!
:)
Little Blue

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »
Hi,

It is common, and yes you did the right thing lancing it.

It can be caused by a nick or a bite, the hole should be big enough to let the fluid drain.

Have a look at this link :

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/331/haematoma
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
Thanks for the help its put my mind at rest a bit ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS