Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you feed?  (Read 2770 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
What do you feed?
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
Hello all :) I've been told about "pig mash" but cannot seem to find anything about it :( I.e what it contains, what it is, where i can get it from blah blah.  The piggies i keep and Kune Kune (5 gilts, 1 sow and her 3 babies) crosses so fairly small in size.  How much would you feed these?  What would you feed them?  Mine get a mixture of rolled barley, sugarbeat, veg and fruit and hay ........ and the mother gets some sow and weener pellets as she is feeding 3 piglets.  Am i doing anything wrong?  There is a lot of conflicting info on the net :(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:58:16 pm by welshlass181 »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: What do you feed?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
I'm no expert but that sounds good enough for me except for the barley. I think it should be fed in moderation and a few pig nuts mixed in. I dare say someone wiser than me will put you right. :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:10:38 pm »
This is why i prefer to ask instead of trawling google as there is lots of conflicting info out there.  I was told that barley and beat would be ok for the gilts and that momma pig would need the extra bits that the nuts provide.  Humph  :'(

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:15:20 pm »
barley makes them fat the nuts is a balanced diet they are small so don't feed them the same as conventional pigs
if you are feeding beet remember to thouroughly soak it first

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:51:07 pm »
Aye :) i soak it over-night if i use cold water and for a few hours with boiling water.  When the colder weather comes i will try to give them the beat warm ... i know that i'd appreciate it lol

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »
ask at your local feed suppliers... as many as you have around you!  If they dont stock meal, ask if they can get it for you.

our place is dead local, he has to get in pig meal just for us. (either two or four bags at a time) .. which reminds me I must phone them tomorrow as its collected on a Tuesday!
  its much more economical than rolls/nuts, and can be served warm or cold, and made up with the "juice" from soaked sugar beet too ;)
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:48 pm »
Just found a local supplier that can get me the sow & weaner meal.  Phoned Haygates and they gave me my local place lol not just need to sort out the correct amount to feed the little blighters so they don't get to fat to fast.  Is there a rule of thumb food ratio or anything?  They're Kune Kune x GOS with a bit of wild boar thrown in there somewhere so quite small.  Below are some pics i took on Saturday.  The biggest one is the female with piglets and the breeder said that she is fully grown

Not sure if these are clear enough to make a good call.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:03:44 pm »
Lovely piglets/pigs/pictures

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS