Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick question about castration  (Read 10461 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Quick question about castration
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:47:26 am »
NOW AS A POINT OF INTEREST WHEN THE JEWS CIRCUMCISE DO THEY USE  AN ANISTECTIC
C'mon (Robert ?) it's not the same thing  ;)
When men go for vasectomies they get local anesthetic - THAT'S castration. Can you imagine trying to do that without  ;) ;D ;D ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:55 am »
As Lillian says - there is no doubt that boar taint exists, and some people are very sensitive to it.

However we have not experienced it, and do not castrate.  Indeed we have used boars a year old to impregnante gilts and then chopped them with no problems.

In England, castration comes under The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007, and in Wales under the The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (Wales) Regulations 2007, both of which state under schedule 3 part 1
1. Castration
The method used must not involve the tearing of tissues.
An anaesthetic and additional prolonged analgesia must be administered where the animal is aged 7 days or over.

Section 5 of both regulations permits castration by a non-vet if carried out within 7 days.

Don't know scotland offhand, or if it's 4 days there.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:22 am »
its still using a sharp blade on a delicate bit remember cutting not tearing
they used to castrate young bulls with bardizzos not a blade used or anesthetic :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:40 am »
An extra reason too is that I find castrated boars to be much more laid back and chilled (there is a safety concern with large, uncastrated boars) Now maybe it's from the Kune Kune side of things ? HTH

Myabe KK, we have had no problem with numerous Oldspot and Saddleback boars.  Our breeding boars always have at least one girl with them, and this keeps them well chilled, and they are dopey as hell.

Lillian, Personally I do not favour breeders castrating their own, and suspect it is only a matter of time before this is outlawed on welfare grounds.  It is the only invasive procedure that is allowed to be carried out by amateurs, and is in my view very different from circumcision.

PS if it is Robert who is posting - isn't it time to get your own account (they are free you know!), so we know who is saying what :)

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:15:00 am »
oaklands i agree it is not for amateurs(our vet showed us how to perform this)
will it be banned at the same time notching is no longer practised
Lillian and Robert work as a team  he makes the balls Lillian is the target(not the same balls as discussed)

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:33 am »
I've kept uncastrated boars running with a sow until 9months and had no problems with 'taint'. None of my customers have ever compained either.
I haven't and won't castrate boar piglets, I don't think that watching a vet do it a couple of times qualifies anyone for the procedure.
None of my litters have ever been that dopey from being born that I would feel it was ok to take a scapel to their scrotum without the use of anaesthetic or analgesia.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:49 am »
now this is getting very interesting  both oaklands and skidley
training vets how often have they to perform a set procedure before they progress from amatures to being proficient  and who better to show you how to perform this yes your right the vet
oaklands if a complete novice  buys your book then enrols on one of your courses at what point do they become armatures or progress beyond this milestone in carring and attending to pigs ?
now we may be lucky in that our vet when he came to castrare the first time said we were more than proficient to perform this procedure ourself  it may also be that we have had an unbroken working relationship since 1964 and before with them :wave: :wave:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:51:33 am by lillian waddell »

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:15 am »
I know I watched more than once or twice when I was learning how to castrate cats, and at least they were anaesthetised!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 01:48:11 pm »
oaklands i agree it is not for amateurs(our vet showed us how to perform this)

People become proficient through learning/training and subsequent practise.  How long each person takes depends on their aptitude for the task in hand.

I think we agree, that it needs to be a taught and practiced process if it is to be carried out. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:52 pm »
IMHO, if you can avoid these mutilations, then you should.

dehorning a young heifer would upset me more than castrating young piglets! obviously if injury is the reason, that is different, but to think that horns have no use...then they would not be there in the first place. >:(
 my calves use their horns very well indeed when destroying my washing line  ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
dehorning even with nerve blocker can be upsetting even to the one with horns :'( :'( :'(
but nothing compared to getting a horn up your arse :wave:
the horns are there to defend themselves   now we really are on the horns of a dilemma ;) ;) ;) ;)

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »
i bet the female tasers are less sympathetic to the boar weaners than the blokes tho, lol. we had dodgy meat b4, dont know if it was boar taint or cured badly but i think id choose a castrated weaner if just was bought to finish. i dont think id get the vet to cut an 8 week weaner tho cos would be expensive i imagine.
i find i can still "smell" the animal even when its meat, even poultry. i think if u gut it yourself it puts u off a bit.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 02:43:46 pm »
Great information, very informative and I can see a very individual choice to do or not. It was the castration  procedure being done without a vet in those first 4 days that alarmed me most, still does if I’m to be honest………….However a learning curve for me and I’m absorbing as much of the varied thoughts on the process that have been discussed here :)

Dave

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »
 one of the the plus points of castration    if you have an abattoir than can take big pigs castrated males (300kilos) will give you a better eye of bacon better one big pig than 5    60kilo pigs

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
blonde have you done costings for keeping the castrates to 2 years old also what weight and what price do you get (i take it that you will price it in aus dollars)
they weigh   195 - 205 kg and I sell them for 600 aus dollars.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS