Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick question about castration  (Read 10465 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Quick question about castration
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:45:07 am »
Is it normal practice for a breeder to castrate the boars or would this be something a buyer specifically requests? and would you expect to pay more for this?

Thanks  :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Quick question about castration
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
Can only speak as an expat here in France - boars are most often sold as castres, which is done by the breeder at around 3 days old.  Prices are normally higher for females.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:03:27 pm »
we have had a big stoshie on this subject before but castrated males do not give of the boar taint(lillian just butchered 2 saddelbacks 1 boar(intact)1 gilt and she could detect the boar taint without it being cooked) up to 4 days old the breeder can castrate(cutting not tearing) after 4 days it is only the vet that can castrate it is also a usfull tool to prevent substandard pedigree boars being used even if sold for meat
the vets costs would be factored into the cost of the pig

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »
We've never experienced any boar taint from our uncastrated boar weaners. Having said that, they have been kept in all male groups and slaughtered at about 8 months old. I don't think anyone here, apart from Lilian, has said they've detected boar taint and there are a number of threads on here about the same subject.

IMHO, if you can avoid these mutilations, then you should.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »
Is it normal practice for a breeder to castrate the boars or would this be something a buyer specifically requests? and would you expect to pay more for this?

Thanks  :)
I only castrate to order and I do them all of next month.  I keep them 2 years then they go to sale for makeing hte best sausages. Two year old meat is the best there is for making sausages before or after that the meat is not at is premium

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »
blonde have you done costings for keeping the castrates to 2 years old also what weight and what price do you get (i take it that you will price it in aus dollars)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:37:14 pm »
they would be very expensive sausages over here.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:49:50 pm »
I never castrate. Usually keep boar weaners up to six months but have kept them up to 8 months without any problems. No taint at all - and no complaints either.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:13:43 pm »
Liz what we could do (at the next A G M ) bring the George foreman grill and cook sausages from a gilt or castrated boar then cook sausages from an entire male  at 8 months or over  and compare i think with bill,nick,Carolyn and yourself present the results would prove one way or another :wave:

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »
Hi all you posters on this thread can I ask a question. Please forgive my ignorance as a non pig keeper at the moment  (getting some soon) but I'm genuinely  intrigued with this issue…..So don’t spit roast me over my questioning please…..Here goes! ::)

I can see where there could be a possible animal welfare issue with this, especially as stated some find it not necessary for the finished product.. If I read correctly you can castrate at home up until 4 days, thereafter a vet is required.

Question………Why for 4 days is it OK to castrate at home and thereafter a vet is called?. What procedure does the vet do that’s different?

Question……… The boar taint is it that bad that the quality of meat is affected?. Is it the taste or smell of the cooked product that’s affected.

Just curious, thanks in advance for any reply’s

Dave

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:29:52 pm »
glentarki  after 4 days the vet uses Anastetic(a local injection)
boar taint is found in entire male pigs that are mature(IE sexually active)
some people can detect its smell either raw(when butchering the animal) or when cooking
now just because it appears that a minority can detect it it does not mean it does not exist(just because some people can identify an engine by the note emitting from that engine does not prove that they are in some way of the mark)
once it has been pointed out to you the smell of boar taint you will recognise it thereafter
to take this further some tups if slaughtered when they are sexually active have a similar taint
now the next question is why not leave the pigs to they are outwith the breeding season  this only works if the boar is slaughtered at 6 months or younger  WHY because pigs can breed all year round also once they go over 120kilos there are few slaughter houses that can take them and any that do normally export them to Russia and the Baltic states
now do want to be left to devour 300+kilos of what could be tainted meat i did hear of somebody that fed his pigs only cauliflower and when cooked even his dog would not eat the meat
hope this answers you query :wave: :wave: :wave:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:26:10 am by lillian waddell »

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »
Thanks Lillian Waddell very well explained, no doubt at some point once I have the experience with some home bred pork I will relate to what you have said.

I take it Antarctic is a local pain/sedative relief injection given to pigs prior to getting their bits removed? .....What do you and others use when doing the procedure at home up to the 4 day mark?

Thanks for responding :)

Dave

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
Thanks Lillian Waddell very well explained, no doubt at some point once I have the experience with some home bred pork I will relate to what you have said.

I take it Antarctic is a local pain/sedative relief injection given to pigs prior to getting their bits removed? .....What do you and others use when doing the procedure at home up to the 4 day mark?

Thanks for responding :)

Dave
I dont use anything and castrate on day one....small and unassuming...no idea what is happening.  Easy to do on one own with any squealling  or struggling.  Still dopey from being borne....

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:29:42 am »
glentarki   it was misspelled now corrected
we do the same as blonde
NOW AS A POINT OF INTEREST WHEN THE JEWS CIRCUMCISE DO THEY USE  AN ANISTECTIC

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:42:58 am »
We've never experienced any boar taint from our uncastrated boar weaners. Having said that, they have been kept in all male groups and slaughtered at about 8 months old. I don't think anyone here, apart from Lilian, has said they've detected boar taint and there are a number of threads on here about the same subject.

IMHO, if you can avoid these mutilations, then you should.
I've never had pork that's inedible due to taint BUT I can smell a difference when certain pork cooks and it's not a smell that makes me want to eat it (but I'm super fussy about smells and cooking since being pregnant and having a bad experience with a pot of boiling tatties on Xmas day)  :-\

I do think castration, providing it's done correctly and strictly adhereing to the welfare guidelines, is worth it.
For 2 reasons, as already mentioned
1) You've no chance of having an entire pig ruined due to taint. This also gives you the option of running them with gilts without unexpected/unwanted pregnancies (handy if you've got limited space/fenced areas or low weaner availablity) and it keeps them a bit calmer and more subdued.
2) From a pedigree breeding point of view. If I thought a boar was not good enough to breed from (in terms of conforming to the breed standard) I wouldn't want any unscrupulous people buying him, claiming to be going to eat him, only to find out he was being used for breeding. As someone who wants to have a good reputation for the quality of their stock, this could affect things.
An extra reason too is that I find castrated boars to be much more laid back and chilled (there is a safety concern with large, uncastrated boars) Now maybe it's from the Kune Kune side of things ? But as KK breeders we must NOT sell uncastrated boars as pets - it's just a huge no-no. But (just to confuse things more) my KK's are all 'done' by the vet, under anesthetic @ 6 weeks old - due in part to the hernia issue and in part cos I'm a big softy  ;) When the time comes for my 'big' pigs to be done I'm sure I'll be reaching for a bottle of anesthetic (for them) or the phone to phone the vet to do it  ;) ;D
HTH
Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS