Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: salami charizio and mortadella  (Read 2054 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
salami charizio and mortadella
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »
going to have a go at doing this when my first lot of porkers are ready - anyone know where i can get some recipies (or will i have to put a call in to my italian inlawa?  also ideas on how to airdry would be greatfully appreciated!

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
Re: salami charizio and mortadella
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:55:33 pm »
 We bought a starter pack to make our own Chorizo from www.weschenfelder.co.uk. We hung  our Chorizo from the Velux windows to air dry, seemed to work okay.

Weschenfelder have allsorts of bits and pieces on their website for making your own sausages etc. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need there.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:54 pm »
going to have a go at doing this when my first lot of porkers are ready - anyone know where i can get some recipies (or will i have to put a call in to my italian inlawa?  also ideas on how to airdry would be greatfully appreciated!
Buy an old fridge and cut the sides out of it.  Put some knitted shade cloth on the sides  and make  sure it is bug and fly proof  dont want to have maggots in it.,  PUt it out in a nice windy positon and the meat will be dry in know time. 

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
In Galicia making these is still a strong tradition in the villages. We make circa 300 every year and the usual debate is on how spicy they should be. After After making they are hung in a big shed with air vents in sausage bunches (trying to avoid them touching each other as much as possible ) to dry. As most Matanzas happen from Sept – Feb the risk of flies etc is low but to aid the drying out process we light small fires for about 2 hours just before dusk, in about a week they are dry and ready to be stored. Personally the older the better (I am still eating the ones from last year).  Forgot to mention obviously the smoke does effect the flavour, greener wood is burnt for a more smoky flavour and never burn pine !!!!!
As for the exact recipe I am not so sure (my grandmother mixes the meat), we get the intestines already washed from the butchers. 

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:56:21 am »
You could try using the forum search function - there are stablished threads on Salami.
Enjoy  ;D  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:56 am »
I was after some recipes a while back and eve gave a fantastic reply below;

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=12223.msg119743#msg119743

I made the basic salami and the Saucisson recipes and after 2 months they look great but I'll be waiting to eat them another month or so.  Next year I hope to make the chorizo as well.

Good luck.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:05 pm »
Barts, the spices brand that's available in most supermarkets, does a smoked paprika - it's divine!

My favourite salami is the saucission sec recipe but with double the pepper. With the sausages casings we use, the salami's are very thin (like sausages) and therefore ready very quickly.
Which reminds me, I still have one up in the loft... hmm... time for tasting, I think...!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS