Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: other hardy breeds  (Read 5829 times)

princesspiggy

other hardy breeds
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:53 pm »
our tamworths are thriving but completely not mollicoddled (tho they do have a good dry straw bed) on freerange woodland , including spiky conifers and nettles, can be very windy and exposed, and lots of snow (ne scotland)
if i was to consider a 2nd breed, would other breeds cope as well in same environment. i quite like GOS and saddlebacks.
also we once had a mixed bunch of pedigree sheep. and they divided themselves into mini flocks according to their breed (not joking) would pigs do this aswell if different breeds were keep together? im hoping one breed wouldnt bully the other need separating.
just curious

robert waddell

Re: other hardy breeds
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:30 pm »
you are right with the sheep separating into there own groups gangs or breeds was told this at collage 40yrs ago
cant say it happens with pigs
all the breeds of pigs will suit your enviroment

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
are GOS and saddlebacks as tough as eachother (forgot to say the land is quite steep too)
so how does a balwen know its not a herdwick? would tha not indicate a higher level of intelligence?
 :o ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:03:32 am »
well its obvious one has a welsh accent and the other a cumbrian. or it could just be that the smell or act slightly diffrent.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
Lol I'd like to think that the accents were different Paul.
As for saddlebacks yes they're very hardy. We had temps of -15 this winter loads of snow and mine were fine. Nice warm arc with plenty of straw and a floor in and no problems

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:50:04 am »
well its obvious one has a welsh accent and the other a cumbrian.

;D ;D ;D and i suppose the soays jumped the fences and buggered off cos i was english  ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:39:34 am »
it is funny how working with livestock can make you cynical to the point of being a comedian  :) ;) :wave:
now have you considered Hampshire's they can withstand the Scottish winter friendly and quick growing and finishing and not just because we have them  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:29 am »
And Kune Kune's  ;) ;D
They're REALLY hardy ! All that hair makes for great insulation  :D :D :D
Ours were fine in -20 and DEEP snow too.
I know they're not on your radar - but got to give the wee guys a plug at every opportunity  ;) ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
And I'll second HH, for similar reasons...  ::D
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »
i do try to support british rare breeds but sooo interested in mangalitzas. theyd be pretty hardy i expect. never actually seen a real one though. are they smaller than a tammie?

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
princess there are mangolitzas in mintlaw :) :) :) i am sure there details are on the SPKA web site if not they will be going on

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
They are on  ;D
Here's the link http://scottishpigs.webs.com/experiencedbreeders.htm

Princess Piggy - get yourself signed up through the website so you're added to the mailing list for important updates !
AND everybody else for that matter  ;) ;D ;D ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »
i need to join bpa 1st, will do that next week, just been busy (on here mainly - lol)
iv sent an enquiry... we could always get a few to fatten. whats their meat like, are they killed at 6 mths and do u need to castrate them?...would be so cute tho    ;D ;D ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:57 pm »
and KK's would be fun for  change, but i think the kids would have them in the house (aswell as the goat) lol

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:16 am »
My mangalitsas were smaller than my tammies and not quite so fast, but amazing escape artists as they didnt get such a hit from the electric with their really hairy coats.  They tasted delicious.  We cant keep mangalitsas as Hilary has a death hate on them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS