Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slapping Non-Pink Pigs, would this be of interest?  (Read 7533 times)

Slapping Non-Pink Pigs, would this be of interest?
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »
Hi,

Usually Black ink is used to slapmark pigs, which is fine for "Pink" pigs or once slaughtered "non-Pink" pigs.

However, using black ink on a black pig for example means that the slapmark is not visible until the pig us slaughtered and cleaned.

We have the opportunity of obtaining some Food Grade Red slapper ink, which means that the mark will be visible while the pig is still alive (and red is one of the approved colours).

Is this something anyone would be interested in?

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

chickenfeed

Re: Slapping Non-Pink Pigs, would this be of interest?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:06 pm »
 ;) we have always used black ink on the pigs with no problems we usually slap the night before slaughter so i cant see any need for buying more ink in, it would also mean another ink pad its hard enough to make money on pigs atm without spending more. sorry  ;)

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »
Hi,

I agree, in the "slap just before slaughter" process a red ink would not be needed.

What I was trying to ask, probably worded it wrong, was for owners slapping way in advance of slaughter, perhaps for movement purposes or to prevent pigs being stolen, would a red ink be of any interest to owners of non pink pigs? as it shows up when a black slapmark does not.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »
I wondered a while ago about the possiblity of tattooing the dark pigs ears (as an alternative to notching) but until the BPA change their rulings on notching and pedigree ID I have to stick with the approved methods. :-\
There was talk to notching being outlawed because it can be classed as mutilation - perhaps a red tattoo ink for ears would be a good alternative. It's always worth putting to the BPA and see what they think ? I'm sure there would be plenty of support from breeders to stop notching, because I doubt any of them enjoy having to do it  ??? I'd ask them Gareth and see what they say, providing the ink is long lasting ?
HTH
Karen

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:18:35 am »
Hi,

I agree, in the "slap just before slaughter" process a red ink would not be needed.

What I was trying to ask, probably worded it wrong, was for owners slapping way in advance of slaughter, perhaps for movement purposes or to prevent pigs being stolen, would a red ink be of any interest to owners of non pink pigs? as it shows up when a black slapmark does not.
Cant imagine using food colouring particularly red to slap brand the pigs.  The meat inspectors colour is also red.  Dont think the Ozzie's would approve that!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:50:02 am »
Blondie,

It is not "food Colouring" it is Food Grade Slapper ink - which is about to be adopted by UK commercial producers for  supermarkets - the reasoning being that the slapper ink could be consumed by a customer - so therefore it should be food grade and certified as safe to consume.

In the UK the allowed colours for marking pigs are Black, Green and Red.

Thanks

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 12:28:09 pm »
SfS
is there such a thing as a tattoo marker to go over tattoos that have faded?
i bought two pigs that really need retattooing but i'm a bit squeamish about doing it and wonderd if there was a way to go over them, they can still be seen all be it faintly but if you didn't know what you were looking for i don't think you'd find them.
Mandy :pig:

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »
Hi Mandy,

Nothing that I am aware of - as a tattoo places ink under or in the skin then the only way to re-apply is to re-tattoo, as the original punctures from the original tattoo will have long since healed over.

Thanks

alisstuf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • New Forest
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:14:32 pm »
Nothing to do with your red ink but just thought I'd mention the problem we have!! our Iron Age pigs have very thick coarse hair and the slapper doesn't make good contact, indeed the first time we used it the ink rubbed off as it only adhered to their hair. Now we give our pigs a short back and sides prior to slapping. Have become quite skilled at this but have some very indignant pigs  ::) Any one else had this problem??

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »
Hi,

What sort of slapper are you using? does it have tapered or pointed parallel pins?

alisstuf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • New Forest
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
Haven't got a clue but got it from you  ;D

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:24 pm »
I would be eternally grateful if you could find a tattooing pliers which is better than the Fearings one I currently use. Tiny characters and very fiddly. Even when the pigs are fully-grown, tattoos done at a few weeks' old are difficult to see on outdoor (Tamworth) pigs, which get very dark and freckled ears.

I need one which would take the HDL plus three numbers. And it needs to be a quick-release action - so that the pins are pulled from the ear automatically when you release your grip (which, in fairness, the Fearings ones do).
I'm forever on the quest for the perfect tattooing equipment, so if you can help, I'll be really, really grateful!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »
we have a similar problem  our set is an Arnold make the characters are 11mm 6 characters wide and you have to pull the ear of the needles
if you goggle tattoo pliers there are pictures of the pliers  there are American ones(4 from the left)they have a spring plate that should release the needles from the ear                our biggest problem is the ink unreadable after a short time   the green ink turned to fluid and the black fades   both Richey   never tried the red paste yet   bill says we need to go on one of his courses???
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:16:44 pm by lillian waddell »

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »
Hi,

Our supplier is about to launch a six character tattoo plier, which should be available within the next couple of weeks. Ill keep you posted if you like??

Thanks

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »
Haven't got a clue but got it from you  ;D

OK then so they are parallel pointed pins - and they are sharp and long enough to slap your Iron Age pigs - basically you have two options :

1) Slap harder - dont be timid with the slapper, the pins need to make contact and penetrate the skin.

2) Slap them younger before they get as hairy!

However, I suspect you are not slapping hard enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS