Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping pigs - the iPhone app  (Read 5781 times)

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
Keeping pigs - the iPhone app
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »
I am a an independent Apple developer and have been approached by Carbery to create a 'Smallholders Guide To Pig Keeping' app - sponsored by Carbery.

I have sourced most of the info required from various websites to create a nice guide, breed info etc.  Just wondering if this is something you guys would be interested in and if you had any feature requests for the app?

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Keeping pigs - the iPhone app
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »
Sounds good to me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »
How about one for  chicken keeping - bet there's a lot more chicken keepers than pig ones. ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
Already on that....  And a sheep one!

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:18:48 pm »
Okay, I'm a numpty  :dunce:(and don't have an i-phone :-\) how does it work exactly ?
Is it like a game ? or a how-to guide with reminders for feeding, cleaning out, injections ? That kind of thing ? I think it sounds a good idea in theory, but don't totally understand it  :-[

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
Will it be a paid app or free?

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »
As a smallholder/software developer and iphone owner, I'd be interested in this - happy to have a chat or beta test if required.

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
Paid app (£1.19). I have to make a living.

HappyHippy - it will be like an interactive book, with updated news, video guides and a full breed list with pics & descriptions.

Benkt - Great, I will send you through a beta once completed. It will install via iTunes along with a provisioning certificate.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »
Ive been working on a peice of software for Smallholders the past year "Smallholder Servant currently in 1.1 and nearing Beta. If I ever get it finished :D and if I'm honest thats an if; I may be in touch for an app version. Certainly interested in the pig app.

Will be very interested to see the main topics etc. Pigs have a wide spectrum of purpose as well as breeds, unless your a pig farmer I'm guessing most would be rare breed, some would be rearing whilst some would simply be fattening. Very interested to see how it comes out.

Very best of luck with it. :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:55 am »
Whoosh................... right over my head, thought an apple was something you grew on trees or had in your lunchbox ;D Must be my age!!!
Type of thing i would expect the couple who got kicked off Jimmy's farm thing last nite to use ::)
Mandy :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:38:13 am »
Dont even have a working mobile.

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »
PLEASE..............No One take offence to this....................BUT....................as a middle aged, grumpy old man........................for God's sake, keep real ones!  Their batteriese dont go flat after 4 hours, they respond well when dropped in shite, they dont mind a bit of water on them, theyre big enough to actually see, you cant loose them, and more importantly they dont need updating every bloody month!!

Before you know there will be 'Ipig', the all new virtual reality pig keeping game........grow your own bacon from your bedroom!  Did life just pass me by or something?!?!?!

regards
Jason

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

OOOOPS, I gues having a website is a bit 'Techie'? :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
Well here's a new problem for you techies to help with.
last night i went to give Clover our newly weaned mum a cuddle as she was upset at leaving her babies, unbeknown to me my mobile fell out of my pocket! ::)
I went in this morning and found it crunched beyond belief (a Nokia) , retrieved the sim card and put it in new phone (it was issued when renewed contract but hated it and never used til now, really loved my old one!) and it only has stuff on it up to 2009 which means i've lost 2yrs worth of phone numbers, photos etc. There is no life whatsoever in the crunched one, even tried connecting it to my computer as battery is still intact but no reaction from it.
Any suggestions as to how i retrieve my info or is it hopeless?
Help!
Mandy (total technofobe)  :pig:

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:48:52 pm »
Hmmmm sorry to say its most likely lost! Unless the phone is actually smashed to peices (in which case pretty much no hope) id just leave it to dry sumwhere warm'ish with the battery out for a few days then try putting battery back in and try again. The pics were prob stored on the phone but check theres not a memory card in the phone, might be in a slot under the battery or around the outside of the phone sumwhere, pics are most likely on it if there is one.

If after that still nothing then take it into the phone shop o2, vodaphone etc. whoever your with and get them to look and they will let you know if theres any hope at all.

Ive broken phones in the past and not been able to get stuff back so know how annoying it is.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »
'fraid to say that Joe11 is correct, you have two storage places, the phones memory and the sim card, and looks like all your stuff was on the phone, as he suggests let it dry, but suspect it has gone !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS