Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs And Grass Management?  (Read 8050 times)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Pigs And Grass Management?
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
Hi folks just looking for some advice on restoring areas of ground back to grass once the pigs have moved on. As novice pig keepers we have decided to get a couple of Kune Kune pigs . We think their manageable size would be ideal as a starter pig and hopefully we gain experience with them along the way before trying a larger breed later (or not)…………..Quick Questions…..How long after removing the pigs from their paddock can we apply grass seed?….Do we need to rest the area?. We also hope Kune Kunes wont dig down just as much as others, What’s your experience of them?

Their paddocks will be a half acre each time they are moved along the existing field, currently laid to grass but full of docks and creeping buttercup…..The idea being our pigs get to free range and we follow behind to rejuvenate a tired paddock with good seed …O and lets not forget the yummy pork we get rewarded with later on!! ;D

Thanks in advance
Dave

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Pigs And Grass Management?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:09 pm »
Hi Dave

We have not needed to reseed at all so far. We move our pigs every 4 months into new paddocks and it's amazing what grass will grow back through!

Even their winter paddock which was completely dessimated has started coming back with some nice grass now! :)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »
I have a padock that is a few acres and it only has 16 pigs on it and it stil has grass, although brown  and dry on it.  It also encourages melons to grow during the summer

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »
Blonde you are making me very jealous, all my efforts at growing melons come to nothing, even pumpkins struggle.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:37 pm »
HM you would not want these growing in your garden and certainly would not want to serve them up to your family either.  The plants stink and the  melons dont look like water melons either, but they grow whether  you do any thing to them or not, as soon as we get a rain in the summer time the paddy melons come up.  The cows eat them bush and all and the pigs just eat the melons but they have to be ripe for them to chew into them  They get about the size of a basket ball or smaller.  The melon bush sprawls all over the ground and they grow massive.  Reaching as much as 15 foot across.  Great animal feed and that is all.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:38:25 pm »
Disappointed, I as they sounded lovely.  Ah well back to the pumpkin patch ....

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »
Hiya Dave  :wave: from a very windy Kilbarchan

Our KKs are kept on 1/2 acre at a time on a 3-4 months rotation.  Not had to re-seed yet, but they have been back on the holding over the winter free-roaming between their byre & paddock hoping to get them back across the field this weekend if their ERY, ordered online, gets here by then  ???
They have made a bit of a mess of their paddock & we do intend to re-seed it, as will be using it for piggy maternity/kindergarten purposes.  Our KKs do root about if they find something interesting, the dominant female more so, so be prepared for patches of digging.
Good to see someone else realising the potential of KKs for meat too  :yum:

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:05 pm »
Thanks very much for the reply’s folks that’s great to hear your experiences………We don’t mind a little bit of bulldozing to their paddocks and expect that, however that’s nice to know they wont completely trash it and grass will rejuvenate :)……..We intend to move them on to a fresh paddock as and when the ground looks like its needing a break and the pigs fresh foraging, if required sow some seed after resting and give it a quick roll…….that’s the idea anyway! ::)

Beewyched I take it your rearing your Kune Kunes for the freezer?. Have you tried the pork from them yet?……Do you breed them?

Thanks again all
Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »
Hi Dave,

Had KKs since early last year - lovely little beasties  :love: :pig: :love: & been watching what's going on with the world  ::) been some right scams going on & trying to keep clear of it all.

Yes, we will be breeding this year & intend to sell REGISTERED stock that "make the grade" to good, sensible homes & certainly not as "only pigs"!!!.  We seriously care about our animals & will never make a living out of this.  We have a lovely young REGISTERED Boar from HappyHippy who's raring to go.  But being realistic - anything else will have a good, free-ranging life & make lovely sausages etc.

Not tried the pork yet, but others on this forum will have & apparently it's delicious but a little more fatty than some other breeds.  We are buying a Pietrain boar from down south to balance this out - will let everyone know how this goes - hopefully very tasty, lean meat from happy, hardy sows  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »
there are pietrains in scotland? or what about hampshires also in scotland

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Hi Lillian  :wave:

We had HUGE problems trying to identify anyone with Pietrains in the UK - only knew about the 1's in Wales coz that where we originate from - got him ordered now, but if your able to link us up with anyone up here it would be great for the future.  Hadn't really considered the Hampshire to be honest  ???

We love the Berkshires, but couldn't face notching the ears - had to do it to lambs when I worked on a farm as a teenager & it still makes my stomach churn when I think about it  :(

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:06 pm »
there are at least two breeders (pietrain) in scotland  it is easy to track breeders or at least lillian says it is

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »
Thanks Beewyched..... it sounds like your doing a grand job of rearing your animals with animal welfare at heart especially the ownership bit. Your breading plans sound exciting. We hope to get some kk in the next month or two so looking forward to that, Thanks for your input ;)

Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
Thanks Dave - the farmers round here think we're a right pair of softies  ::)

Guessing you've not got your KKs yet - HappyHippy has just had a litter today & they'll be from registered stock, not sure if she's got customers lined-up for them all yet, but definately worth getting in contact with her as she is also the secretary of the new Scottish Pig Keepers Association.

Also if you really want KKs look on the KK Society website for registered stock - can't guarantee it & some may disagree with me, but breeders of registered stock generally look after their breeding animals & will help out anyone they sell piglets to.  There are probably folks who keep unregistered KKs like royalty - but there have been some horror stories going about - look at some of the threads about micro pigs :'(  KKs CANNOT be registered unless they are birth notified & the litter will appear on the KK website, also both parents must be registered or the piglets can't be. 

Also, lots of other breeds of piggy folks on here can give you masses of great advice.  :love: :pig: :love:

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:59:03 am »
Thanks for all the publicity Beewyched  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Hi Dave,
I do have a litter (born yesterday - photo's coming soon) There are 5 boars and 2 gilts and I also have 3 'meat grade' weaners at 6 months old (which I may consider selling, sort of had them counted as my late summer pork ;))
I'm just outside Lesmahagow and would be happy to show you round and let you see the KK's and offer any further advice you need.
Please get in touch, either through TAS or have a look at http://scottishpigs.co.uk
Thanks,
Karen x

Edit - On the subject of Pietrains check out the 'experienced breeders' page on SPKA website, contact details there for a chap up here. Sounds a good idea in theory (use a pietrain gilt/sow though as the piglets might be a bit big for a KK to deliver) but I don't know anyone who's done it so can't comment for sure.
For crossing KK's - I was told that KK x Berkshire is a good cross for pork, the Berkshire speeds up the finishing time a bit and it's a good size if you're breeding from a a KK gilt/sow. No good running on for bacon unless you've got loads of time and really have to watch for the fat levels. I'll hopefully have some KK x Berkshires later in the year  ;) The lady we got our Andrew KK boar from was crossing a Tamworth sow with her KK boar for bacon  :yum:
HTH
Karen
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:03:18 am by HappyHippy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS