Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slug prevention from eating seedlings?  (Read 3474 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
slug prevention from eating seedlings?
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »
What methods do people use on here?  I have some onion seedlings in the greenhouse, I've put wooden boards around the bed and was going to grease the wood and put sharp sand on it, and do the same at the bottom as well.  May also put a couple of slug pubs as well.

ANy other god methods of killing the blighters before they completely eat everything?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: slug prevention from eating seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:28:48 am »
copper for seeds that i find hard to grow!
otherwise the usual gravel etc..... chickens are good when the seeds are higher (otherwise they are worse than the slugs!!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »
I have a fire on the go 24/ 7 the ash from that goes around the veg as the slugs dont like to get over it. They dont like coffee grounds either apparently which is a popular deterent as well.Anything gritty and sharp basically.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:02:07 am »
What methods do people use on here?  I have some onion seedlings in the greenhouse, I've put wooden boards around the bed and was going to grease the wood and put sharp sand on it, and do the same at the bottom as well.  May also put a couple of slug pubs as well.

ANy other god methods of killing the blighters before they completely eat everything?
beer will attract them.  Put a  part can of beer on the angle in your garden, dont have it full just a little save the rest for you or for them later.  The slugs will pile in to the can for a sip and dont make it out and if they do they are fairly drunk.  Generally they drown in the stuff.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:30 am »
Aylseburys  ;D  :&> :&>

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »
Does not  matter what it is cause the yeast  in thebeer is what attracts them....... then you have pissed slugs and if you get snails....... same :wave:  At least just try it...... you might be pleasantly surprised

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »
With potted (slug prone shrubs and plants) we spray wd40 around the lower part of the pot....doesnt kill them :( sadly but creates a film like deterent that works well. Not every ones choice of product but works well for me.

Dave

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:19:17 pm »
I have stapled a 2" wide strip of coarse sand paper to the top and side of the uppermost plank of my raised bed.

Problem with beer trap - dog likes the beer too :-((

Susanna
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:22:58 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:27 pm »
I use wood ash. But wood burns to almost nothing so take a while to get enough

ATF

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:53 pm »
my brother has planted a 'hedge' of garlic round his tender leaves patch - he kept the bulbs in year after year and now has an impenetrable wall of garlic that seems to keep them away. not yet tried it myself yet but might be a sustainable long term solution.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS