Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meet the new family  (Read 5957 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Meet the new family
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 07:08:55 pm »
they're gorgeous.
are they pure?  where are they from?

(sorry, nosey I know!) the sow looks alot like boar, thats all...  ::D
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
they're gorgeous.
are they pure?  where are they from?

(sorry, nosey I know!) the sow looks alot like boar, thats all...  ::D

No not pure :) they came from a farm in Five Roads in Carmarthenshire.  The owner told me that they have Kune Kune/glous old spot/welsh (can't remember what she said) and wild boar.  They will be going back to a pure Kune Kune boar later on in the year when the gilt is big enough and when the piglets have been weened and the sow has got her weight back up.  Funny you should say she looks like a boar lol as she was in a pen with 5 other boars ready to go for sausages and low and behold the 6th boar gave birth to 5 piglets

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »
oops, that should have said "my boar!!"
sorry... havent got my glasses on!

thanks, I am now proud of my pig-spotting skill - the faces  are quite "dished" for kunes I thought!

the 6th boar had piglets?! clever fella!  I have sexed our piglets by waiting for them to wee. and the goat kid!   you watch, and you'll see what I mean ;)
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »
The owners were shocked that they got her mistaken for a boar lol but oh well she is with us now :) being quite harsh about the ones not staying i look at them like tools.  Really looking forward to breeding some stronger blooded Kunes tho hehe

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:39 am »
Your set up for farrowing is not unlike my set up  I too have a hot wire around th fperimeter of their fence to keep them in.    I use tin on my A frames rather than wood  and tech screw it together instead of nail.  It is all done out of steel including the frame.

I also have a bank of huts joined togethr side by side so you add one more and only have to do two side to the hut and two side to the pen and put a gate on.  But a hot wire on the inside of each pen.   

I have tried to add a photo but have been unsucessful. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS