Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping pigs on an old allotment  (Read 6187 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Keeping pigs on an old allotment
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »
I've been offered a small piece of land to keep some pigs on (first timer!), going to have a better look at it this evening. The land has previously been used for growing veg and is not grassed at the moment. It is well draining land. Is this going to be suitable for pigs or whould we look to grass seed it all first. Seems a little pointless as it will look like it does now in no time!! Provided they are getting enough vegetation i assume it will be fine??

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Keeping pigs on an old allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:39:41 pm »
Go for it, just remove any potato / tomato plants and rhubarb if you can find any. Don't worry about the plot not having grass, it's not a necessity and would be gone in no time anyway. :D If you'd like to top up the piggies' greens, just cut some of the stinging nettles (which seem to do so well around our allotments  ::)) and other 'green bits' you can pull from the hedgerows.

:wave:

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »
Excellent, thank-you  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
 :bouquet:

Bet all the locals will be round with their greens etc. anyway for the pigs.  Probably be the best fed pigs in the area ... ;D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »
Just make sure you've got superstrong fencing!  ;D

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »
Just how small is this piece of land, and how many piggies were you thinking of putting on it?

If they don't get enough stimulation or quickly clear it they may well look greedily upon their neighbours' allotment plots and make a break for it...

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
I've been offered a small piece of land to keep some pigs on (first timer!), going to have a better look at it this evening. The land has previously been used for growing veg and is not grassed at the moment. It is well draining land. Is this going to be suitable for pigs or whould we look to grass seed it all first. Seems a little pointless as it will look like it does now in no time!! Provided they are getting enough vegetation i assume it will be fine??
If you nose ring your piggies then there will be grass and it will stay fairly well covered,dont ring them and they will have it very bare

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:41 am »
The land is approx 500sqm. There are no neighbouring allotment its in the centre of our tiny hamlet. They will be fenced in with pig netting and electric fencing on the inside of it so shouldn't be any great escapes. There will be 5 pigs in total (only 3 ours) on the land for about 4 months. We wont be putting rings in their noses. We will be making a big effort to keep them entertained and prevent boredom.  :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
So glad you have decided against nose rings.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »
So glad you have decided against nose rings.
Me too. I can't imagine doing that to any of my boys.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:34 pm »
The land is approx 500sqm. There are no neighbouring allotment its in the centre of our tiny hamlet. They will be fenced in with pig netting and electric fencing on the inside of it so shouldn't be any great escapes. There will be 5 pigs in total (only 3 ours) on the land for about 4 months. We wont be putting rings in their noses. We will be making a big effort to keep them entertained and prevent boredom.  :)
No nose rings means they can dig their way to China everyday of the week, filling in the first hole and making a second one equally as big.  They will do this all day long,  whether it be in wet sand or dry sand.  They will lay in a wallow for a short period of time then make a dash across the  hot sand for a shadey spot of their  shack

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I don't see the digging is going to be a problem. They won't be able to dig out so they can spend the four months destroing the land they are on to their hearts content. It will be rested when they are gone and returned to a better state for the next lot when we are ready. I don't see the benefit of nose rings in this situation.  ???

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:39:51 pm »
I'm new to pig keeping :) i'm using mine to turn our land and i want them to dig it up.  Nose rings seems a bit harsh for "my" own personal use of the pigs.  I've got 5 Kune Kune cross god knows what gilts and 1 sow and her 3 piglets.  Good luck in the piggy keeping and i bet you find yourself watching the time whoosh by as you watch the little buggers

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »
Our 9 younguns dessimated the half acre they were on and I enjoyed watching every moment of it ;D :D

I try and rotate their paddock every 4 months now and the grass seems to be coming back fine :)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:29 pm »
Rings were just a th ought if you did not want your grass destroyed that was all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS