Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weighing pigs  (Read 7815 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Weighing pigs
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »
I may well have dreamed this but, I fancy that years ago I read about calculating a pigs' weight by measuring the length and the diameter of his middle and then doing some sort of calculation.
Has anyone any idea of this?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Weighing pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »
search weighing pigs in the pig section
it will bring up lots of discussion
Mandie  :D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:22 pm »
Will do, thanks :)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
This is the way I was told (although I cheat and use a weigh band - much simpler!):

1.   Measure the pig's girth, behind the front legs
2.   Multiply the measurement by itself
3.   Measure the length of your pig – from the top of the head, between the ears and down to the point where the tail sprouts from the body (not to the end of the tail). 
4.   Take the result of step two and multiply by the length of the pig.
5.   Multiply by 69.3 for a weight in kilos, or divide by 400 for a weight in pounds.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:11 am »
The method Liz quotes works to give a good approximation for most breeds to slaughter weight. 

Haven't tried it on KK's !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »
Forgot to say - if you use this for Tamworths, most people subtract 6kg from the total to make up for the fact that Tamworths aren't normally blessed with voluptuous bottoms! Same goes for using the weigh band.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:15:47 am »
I guess I am spoilt I have a set of electron scales and just run them through quick smart.   

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:04 am »
Am now off up to my pigs, armed with a tape measure and a nephew who can add up ;D

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:40 am »
I guess I am spoilt I have a set of electron scales and just run them through quick smart.   

Where might I get a set of electron scales from please ?  I need also to weigh lambs.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:54 am »
do you want to buy new or secondhand    digital or the old fashioned method with a scale    would you collect or prefer delivery

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:00:08 am »
Blonde is in Australia, so delivery from his supplier might be a tad much :)

Also suspect his are electronic, which are more expensive.

In the UK several suppliers do spring balance scales  eg
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/iae-lamb-weigh-crate

You can also find them second hand on ebay, and at farm auctions, but you need to check that they weigh accurately.  Take along 4 full feed sacks, so you can check weight at 25, 50, 75 and 100 kgs (or 5 sacks if yours are 20kg sacks).  No use buying scales that don't work accross the range !

You would also need to check what the largest weight it will measure is.

We used one similar to this (not exactly the same) for both lambs and slaughter weight pigs.

With pigs, you need to check that it has a steadying device (makes the weigh platform rigid whilst the pig gets on it) and then you flick usually a peddle to free it for weighing.

Also with pigs, it is good to get them to wander into it when they are younger, so they are familiar with it, we used to feed them occasionally on the the paltform rigid and both doors open.  That way they happily wander in, and as you get nearer to slaughter time, you can then regularly check them with no effort, pigs walks in, eats, you shut doors, let pig eat, release rigid and weigh, make rigid and open exit door, pigs wanders out.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:45 am »
yes oaklands but janeislay  is in islay scotland 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:01 am »
Islay was still in the UK last time i looked................ ;D
God its good to have you back!................

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
yes oaklands but janeislay  is in islay scotland 
which MV deliver to... :)
ps MV only an example, hence the eg
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »
Blonde is in Australia, so delivery from his supplier might be a tad much :)

Also suspect his are electronic, which are more expensive.

In the UK several suppliers do spring balance scales  eg
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/iae-lamb-weigh-crate

You can also find them second hand on ebay, and at farm auctions, but you need to check that they weigh accurately.  Take along 4 full feed sacks, so you can check weight at 25, 50, 75 and 100 kgs (or 5 sacks if yours are 20kg sacks).  No use buying scales that don't work accross the range !

You would also need to check what the largest weight it will measure is.

We used one similar to this (not exactly the same) for both lambs and slaughter weight pigs.

With pigs, you need to check that it has a steadying device (makes the weigh platform rigid whilst the pig gets on it) and then you flick usually a peddle to free it for weighing.

Also with pigs, it is good to get them to wander into it when they are younger, so they are familiar with it, we used to feed them occasionally on the the paltform rigid and both doors open.  That way they happily wander in, and as you get nearer to slaughter time, you can then regularly check them with no effort, pigs walks in, eats, you shut doors, let pig eat, release rigid and weigh, make rigid and open exit door, pigs wanders out.

I might be in Australia, but there are plenty of scales around.  yes you might find one on Ebay.   I had my friend who can weld make me one with the weigh bars on top so that the rain and water that I wash my weigh shed out does not spoil and rust the bars.   The unit has 2 leads coming form it and they go to a box which registers the weights.  Some of them acutually record the weights and then you can download it to the computer   but I am not that sophistocated as  yet.   In the States they call them sorters if that is any help.   I have not been able to put photos on so If you want  to see if send me an email.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS