Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Constipation?  (Read 5325 times)

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
Constipation?
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:35:10 pm »
I will not go into too much detail, but suffice to say I have rather bought a load of potential problems it seems.

Have a youngish sow, in pig, due early April will not eat much apart from pears or apples, tried the obvious barley, suger beet and bran, but she wont do more than mouth it.  She cannot poo!  tries desperately but nothing happens!  She has drunk nothing in two days either, looks bleak unless she starts eating or drinking. 

Vet had a look today, suggests maybe intestinal legions may be the problem, it appears according to the pasy owners that its not a new problem. Any advice, anyone?

Hand feeding a litter, and a dead sow isnt a good prospect.

Buyers Beware! Basically. ???

Poor girl is so thin she's wasting away, I didnt look too well at time of purchase.

Regards
Jason

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Constipation?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:20 pm »
I know it sounds silly but have you tried allbran ceral. Cant remember who told me / might even been here but had a similar problem and allbran mixed with water freed things up a bit. Then moved on to pig feed mixed with lots of water.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:23 pm »
Could you try liquid paraffin?
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:34:47 am »
hi
we had the same problem with one of our last weaners poppy,  :pig: she had trouble peeing because of it and only had had her for 2 weeks at the time!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
we couldn't get any liquid paraffin so the vet and our farmer friend said the same thing........
lactulose (get from chemists) twice a day (only 10 mls) thats the softener
and exlax (we put in a strawberry) once a day thats the stimulant
it takes about 2-3 days to get going

make sure she is well and no signs of obstruction........

good luck

Mx

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »
Similar problem with Hilary some years ago.  Eventually resorted to glycerine pessaries.  Not the easiest things to administer.  Also water via a syringe can help if she wont drink.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:39:10 pm »
Did you go to see this pig or did you buy it blind. You have bought a whole lot of trouble. Did you put your pig in isolation. You should have been more vigilant when buying this pig, if it does not look healthy you should have left it where it was. It sounds your pig is emaciated, she has not been eating proper pig food as you state apples and pears. She can't crap because she has nothing in the gut to pass to the other end. Has your pig has been only feed on fruit and veg? How long have you had this pig, does the seller have other pigs, perhaps this is the time to report this to the relevent authorities. Please remember your eyes are your guide, if they don't look healthy don't take them. There is no use coming on here winging at your own failings and mistakes.

Yes there are bargins out there in these difficult times but at what cost if it goes tits up. As for your statement of hand feeding piglets, the piglets will probably be dead, if the mum is not healthy she certainly will not give live piglets they will either be reabsorbed or aborted. Good luck with the sow
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:47:10 pm by lillian waddell »

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
Lilian.  she was bought with a viewing, of sorts!  I do not want to disclose the entire story, it aint pretty!  I will be talking to the BPA breed rep tomorrow, I want him to see this pig.

Yes we all make mistakes, I mad mine this time.  HOWEVER, the issue is, this pig deserves the best chance now she is at our place.  Succeed or fail we WILL have tried!  Sadly I too have a degree in hindsight!

Eve, thanks for the advice, she has eaten a little mashed bran, beet, and diced up appple today. Trying to get some roughage into her, she is trying to poo, and staining to doo the job, so near but nowt there.  I will get some liquid parrafin and give it via oral syringe tomorrow.

It is a sorry old story of Buyer Beware.  Seller, dont give a damn!

Regards and thanks for your advice
Jason.

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:51 pm »
sweathart stout once she gets the flavour she will stand there with her mouth open

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
If you can get your vet to give you a large size dog urine catheter you could try an enema with soft liquid soap ask your vet for this and a 50ml syringe. Stand clear after administration!! good luck

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:59 am »
If you can get your vet to give you a large size dog urine catheter you could try an enema with soft liquid soap ask your vet for this and a 50ml syringe. Stand clear after administration!! good luck

now that is something I am definitely going to get  far far easier than my method with pessaries.  Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:23 am »
If it is lesions on the intestine, as the vet suggested, what is the longterm prognosis? If it's not good, might it be better to end her suffering sonner rather than later?

If he's confident that she can lead a normal life, then I really wish both of you all the best. I'd go for the Sweetheart stout for you and the enema for the sow - don't get mixed up though  ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:35:26 am »
HH good luck if you use the enema on Hilary!! pic please  :D :D
This works well in constipated cats, you can get an enema pump but a bit more difficult to use.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:10 am »
Molasses & bran work for constipation.
If the problem is theres nothing in there to come out it might be worth trying to make her a porridge of pigs nuts soaked in milk/water/beer, add some apple shreds if thats what she likes, and trying to get some really solid food into her. Sit with her head in your lap and spoon it into her mouth. Also try syringing electrolytes (calf or lamb ones from the vet are best) into her.
It sounds to me that she may have thin sow syndrome brought on by neglect by previous owner and the chances are she'll not recover and you will also struggle to get her in pig, however animals have a habit of surprising us so hope the above helps. Good luck
very best wishes Mandy  :pig:

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
Hi everyone.  Thanks indeed for all the suggestions, a quick update for you.

I gave her 20 mils by oral syringe this morning of liquid parrafin.  She had a tray from last night left over which consisted of pig nuts, beet, bran and diced apple..............by this afternoon a big dent had been made in a previously untoched pile.  She had alos drank a bit too, only a wee bit mind you.  She is painfully thin, and due to farrow on April 1st.  The piglets within are alive and kicking my hands.

She had a couple of small bowel movements today also, so I noticed, but by this evening she was straining again.  I will repeat the dose tomorrow, and then start giving her lactose twice daily orally.  That believe it or not was a suggestion from the chemist in Olney!

Regards
Jason

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

P.s Thanks for the encouraging PM's everyone, I do appreciate them.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:58:22 pm »
Fingers crossed for her. going in the right direction with TLC

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS