Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm Count Results  (Read 12717 times)

Re: Worm Count Results
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:36 pm »
Hi Cinderhills,

Your worm count was very very good - in fact the lab couldnt spot any eggs !

No - by missing the post nothing would have been affected - as the count looks for worm eggs and not actual worms.

You can either continue worming as you are doing, or schedule in regular worm counts - no point buying and administering wormers if you dont need them.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »
Thanks for your help SFS.  I'll have a think on what to do.

Mel

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:25 am »
What really surprises me, is that this thread has not generated more posts and less than 200 views to date.

Is it a case, as Lillian said above, of people burying their heads in the ground?

Have any pig / sheep readers of this post actually thought to themselves "I might have a problem as well" and sought out a worm count from their Vet / Farm Supplies or Us? If so it would be interesting to know how many have.

Thanks

Hi SFS,

I purchased my weaners-well they are now 12 weeks of age,I was advised that they were wormed already and I do not need to check them again for 12 weeks? Please can you confirm when would be best,I shall be buying a test kit as a matter of precaution!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:54 pm »
Hi Supplies For Smallholders.
I posted a question this week about preventing and testing pigs for liver fluke. I emailed my vet but am still awaiting a reply.
Just out of interest though- why do the home testing kits not test for liver fluke in pigs?
Thanks, Joanne

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:17 pm »
Leghorn, I am in the same position as you and am definitely going to get one of these kits just to be on the safe side.  As someone mentioned before, I think its better to know in order that they can be treated accordingly.  Defo gonna get the count done.
Melanie x

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:21 am »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, we have been closed for a few days to do a stock take..

On the subject of Liver Fluke - The test looks for worm eggs in the sample, so the worms would need to be at a mature egg laying stage of their life cycle for the test to actually see any eggs (this is the same for any worm type in an egg count test) - a good source of info on Fluke is here : http://www.sac.ac.uk/mainrep/pdfs/tn557liverfluke.pdf

For checking for liver fluke in pigs - please make a note on the form that you would like this to be done, as the fluke eggs are slightly heavier and a different solution is used in the lab when mixing the sample prior to examining.

For Leghorn: That is a hard question to answer, as I don't know what was used to worm the weaners or if the correct dose was given to each one, or if you have worms already on the land. Personally I would say carry out a worm count or re-worm them if you prefer just to worm for the sake of it at around 4 - 5 months of age. But obviously any worming programme should be discussed with your vet.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:21:10 pm by supplies for smallholders »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 11:20:32 am »
One other thing, and I don't know if this is based on fact or just an "Old Wifes Tale", is that grazing geese or ducks on the land can dramatically reduce the liver fluke burdon of pastures - anyone else heard this ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:22:11 pm by supplies for smallholders »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 01:33:27 am »
One other thing, and I don't know if this is based on fact or just an "Old Wifes Tale", is that grazing geese or ducks on the land can dramatically reduce the liver fluke burdon of pastures - anyone else heard this ?

I certainly was told that ducks would do so - presumeably because they eat the snails which are the host for the other half of the fluke's lifecycle.  At the time I was on a sheep farm of over 1000 acres of moorland, so short of switching to duck farming in toto we decided to carry on dosing for fluke and just have a few Muscovies for fun (and eggs and meat for the house.)  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:51 am »
Hello. Not been around for ages! Yes I heard ducks keep things down too. Hubby not keen on ducks idea though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS