Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the price of pigs at local mart  (Read 2751 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
the price of pigs at local mart
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »
I was suprised today to see really good looking saddle back gilts making only £17 at the auction market  each,they weighed 35kg.Poorer types made less than that my mate bought some for £4
For anyone who was thinking of getting kune kunes and "micro" types they were £2 each , about the price of a bacon sandwich!
I suspect its the price of corn which is depressing prices

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: the price of pigs at local mart
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »
Yes, people rarely make anything at auction, and generally use it to dump excess stock that they cannot sell privately and cannot afford to keep.

Buying is a bit of a lottery - you don't know their history or disease status, don't get a chance to see mum or the set-up they came from.  You can get a fanstatic bargain, or a real problem  - just as with buying cars!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
some of the stock was of real quality and a bargin.the kunes etc were a right state  and I reckon just being dumped as they couldnt afford to feed them.There was about 40 of them

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »
As a non pig keeper.................can you salvage a poor specimen to say fatten up and eat?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51:02 pm »
it can be done

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »
what part of the country was this?.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS