Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Look what I made  (Read 6855 times)

HappyHippy

Look what I made
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »
Had my first go at making sausages today (shame on me, I've had the mincer for weeks !) Great fun and the results don't look too bad. Going to get the frying pan on now and sample them  :yum:

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: Look what I made
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »
Blimey, they look good!  Bet they taste even better.  Yum, well done. :sausage:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »
bangers and mash for tea then, just getting my coat, what time are you serving up?? yummy  :wave: well done  :wave:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »
Yes, I might just pop around, too!  ;D

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »
I bet they'll be awful - worst sausages you'll ever have had. I'm not even remotely jealous here.

:'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:51:27 pm »
Watch out folks, that CM is a lurker  ;)- watches all and only posts occasionally!  Hi Calum  ;D ;D :wave:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »
The sausage loops look very professional.....
Are you sure you didn't have a tame butcher in the kitchen with you?  ;D
Tish

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »
No need for a tame butcher when you've got youtube  ;) (hell, I managed to take to bits a Nintendo DS, replace the screen, put it all back together and got it working thanks to you tube - wonderful site that it is)
It really was my first go at it and I've got to say I'm well impressed with myself  :) but I've had some hints and tips from an award winning sausage maker, cheers Lillian :-*
Did one half of the mix just plain and the other half with grated raw onion and some breadcrumbs (to make them stretch further) and OMG ! I thought my own bacon was good, these are without doubt, the BEST sausages I've ever eaten !
A point worth noting though - these sausages are HIGHLY toxic to small people and dogs, and as such, shouldn't be fed to them under any circumstances ;)  :o Though try telling that to my big salivating GSD who's following me everywhere, looking at me hopefully  ::) ;D

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »
Well done! They look fantastic. Only have poxy supermarket ones myself so am TOTALLY jealous. Well done again.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »
HH, did you get the butcher to make you up sausagemeat and make them from that?

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:14 pm »
Nope Egglady (it's Laura, isn't it ?)
I got a grinder from Northern Tools (sadly they no longer do the same one, it was under £100 and a great piece of kit) it also comes with attachments for 3 sizes of sausage and one of them wee thingimy bob's for doing the hollow tubes (can't for the life of me remember what they're called though)
I just defrosted some of my pork, chopped it up and minced away ! I was really surprised how easy it was, they split a bit when cooking - didn't affect the taste :yum: but I'm working on acheiving perfection  ;) Ha, as if !  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »
Shame no Bar B Que to put them on, mind you, not bad weather today, they look scrummmmmmmmy :-*

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:28 pm »
Nope Egglady (it's Laura, isn't it ?)
I got a grinder from Northern Tools (sadly they no longer do the same one, it was under £100 and a great piece of kit) it also comes with attachments for 3 sizes of sausage and one of them wee thingimy bob's for doing the hollow tubes (can't for the life of me remember what they're called though)
I just defrosted some of my pork, chopped it up and minced away ! I was really surprised how easy it was, they split a bit when cooking - didn't affect the taste :yum: but I'm working on acheiving perfection  ;) Ha, as if !  ;D
yes it's laura, and thanks for that info.  i always thought i'd have to get the butcher to do all that prep so good to know it can be done yourself.  though were do i get the grinder from now then?  what would it be called karen?

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »
i always thought i'd have to get the butcher to do all that prep so good to know it can be done yourself. 
I'm only making them for myself and family, not sure if there's different regs for selling ? But then, if you're food approved maybe it'll be okay (sorry, just assuming you're thinking about your business idea - I could be way off the mark !)
The absolute creme de la creme is Weshenfelder (but they're expensive !) but there are a few on ebay, Lakeland Ltd sell them and I'd imagine John Lewis and other big department stores might too.
Search for 'electric meat grinder' just check if they have (or have the option of) the sausage stuffers. The wee thingimy bob is called a kebbe maker  ;)
HTH
Karen x

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
so jealous

spitty sausages are always a sign of quality in my book

cheap sausages just lay there good sausages sizzle

what cuts of pork did you use for the sausages?

so own bacon and own sausages thats nearly a full breakfast!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS