Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wooden Worktops.  (Read 6868 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Wooden Worktops.
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »
Just debating whether to revamp the hideous, disgusting kitchen worktops (which I hate with a passion) or to redo in wood with a pair undermounted sinks. Tight time scale. What do you think?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Wooden Worktops.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »
We bought oak block worktops from Barncrest at a very reasonable price and they look great. They did have a sale on but worth a look.

If you've not had wood worktops before, be prepared for them to look less than pristine quite quickly, especially if you aren't the most careful cook (or in my case, kitchen porter). Dan's granite worktop is beautiful and pretty much undamageable but my oak already has some marks. These woudl sand out, but I don't mind about them. It's tha patina of age  ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
we have wood work tops, and love them, so long as you are prepared to look after them, they are great.  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »
we had walnut tops put in last year, they looked gorgeous but as rosemary says can look tired quite quickly and need some work to restore them to their full beauty. Of course it doesn't help that I work from the kitchen and the caustic soda that is used to make my soaps doesn't mix too well with wood  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:06 pm »
Personally I prefer non permeable scrubbable easily disinfected worktops with a high gloss finish.  Wood harbours bugs ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:33 pm »
Wood harbours bugs ;D

I'm sure I read somewhere that wood actually inhibits bugs. Given our living arrangements, a few bugs are neither here nor there  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:46:35 pm »
so long as they are kept sealed there would be no higher risk of bugs than any other surface.  anyway a house that's TOO clean increases allergies  :D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
bugs, spiders, cobwebs, the odd fly, and any creepy crawlies the dogs or cats bring in are healthy, that what i keep telling my OH,  ;D ;) ;) :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Problem is I was married to a Chief Medical Laboratory Technician for 23 years. ::)  He used to come in from work and automatically run his finger along the top of the kitchen cupboard - till the day I spread syrup on it. ;)  He screamed - 'you've been talking to my sister'  Apparently his brother in law did it once too often too! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:50:59 am »
At my previous house I had granite worktops.  Here a mixture of woods and various offcuts of things.....The kitchen is on a long list of jobs still to be done here!

I loved granite and would definitely have them again......If ever I were to manage to afford them (or indeed a new kitchen) that is!!!! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 10:54:30 am »
Have got 2 lengths of Galaxy Granite with a copper and gold fleck.
Both are 3m long and can cut to size or cut the sinks out and so on.
They cost me 250 each and can have for the same along with the resins to do all the joins or to polish.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »
I am sure we will go with the wood - I don't have any difficulty with a wooden kitchen table, so I can't see that a worktop should be too much different.

My dear husband said last night that he wasn't really aware that anyone had anything else for worktops. ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:06:13 am »
My dear husband said last night that he wasn't really aware that anyone had anything else for worktops. ::)

Time you replaced his "Country Smallholding" with "Homes and Gardens"  ;D Oh, that would be a great photo - TT reading "Homes and Gardens"  ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »
Fat Chance

He is extremely knowledgable about a great many things, but there are something that he is TOTALLY and blissfully ignorant of.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:11 am »
If funds allow would go for granite every time. You can pick up lengths quite reasonably if you ring round some of the kitchen suppliers or places that sell granite to the kitchen fitters.  I have to say that when our house was built 7 yrs a go it was the one feature i was insistent on and the only room that had money spent on it big style was the kitchen but we do live in it and 7yrs on its still looks as good as the day it went in.
HTh
mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS