Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BPA in France.  (Read 7008 times)

Ruby Tuesday

• Joined Jan 2011
BPA in France.
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:26 am »
 Hi.
   On another web site, it has been indicated that the B.P.A are thinking about stopping international memberships.
  Anyone know anything about this ?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: BPA in France.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:42 am »
I didnt.  If you can pass on the link I would be interested.

Ruby Tuesday

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
 There is a thread on www.pigsinfrance.com  in the 'Pig Corner'  about it Hilarysmum.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:27:03 pm »
This link will take you directly to the thread in the forum

http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=79&func=view&id=7736&catid=2

I think this is retrograde, whilst the BPA is the "British" registration by its very title, they are both losing income and bloodline info by doing this.  Surely saving rarebreeds is more critical than where they are located, and having bloodlines overseas helps protect UK rarebreeds if god forbid we have another F&M.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:47:13 pm »
having read the posts on this  i think it is a bit like the knee jerk reaction to the proposed increase to British BPA members
stand back  stay calm and let the BPA overcome the perceived problems when the membership subscriptions are announced
little offshoots is not the way forward
just my view on this

Ruby Tuesday

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:32:10 am »
 Hi Lillian.
       Perhaps if you lived in France your reaction might be a wee bit different. :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:53 am »
Thanks have had a look. I think Lilian it has been tried a couple of times before, with little success.  After the initial listing enhusiasm wains and the list quickly becomes outdated and therefore of l ittle use.  It would take someone of very high integrity and the patience of Job.  Hopefully the BPA will have a rethink, otherwise those who want to remain members or to join would have to have a UK address (yes I know its not legal but its done all the time here for renewing passports, driving licences and for obtaining SKY television).

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:47 am »
One can only assume that the pig market in Scotland is booming. The BPA have cocked up on a number of fronts this year already. Firstly, their communications over the sub increase were appalling - misleading, inaccurate and inconsiderate. Second, their timing, coming when feed prices are rocketing as are bedding and diesel, yet finished pig prices are actually lower than 12 months ago. Third, they offer no new service or benefit to justify the increases. So why do they need to increase so much? The decision and details were unknown to most Council members who are the ones supposed to be making the decisions in the first place. And those members not paying by DD still await details of how their costs will change. Now it seems that European-based members may be kicked out and their pigs left unregistered.

Presumably the BPA have abandoned all hopes of conserving any of the rare breeds as their actions seem to be designed to alienate all such breeders, except Lillian.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:53 am »
Mr Pig do you think that the individual breed societies may welcome members from outside UK?  What would be the possibility of a register for those of us who may no longer be able to register their pigs with BPA.  Or if a register of British Pigs was started here in France would those pigs be accepted as registered pigs within the individual societies, do you think? 

It seems a shame that such enthusiasm for pedigree pigs should go unrecognised. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:57:50 am by Hilarysmum »

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:30:14 am »
HM - Unfortunately the BPA is in a monopoly situation. With the exception of the British Lops and Kune Kunes, all pedigree pigs in the UK are registered by the BPA. The other bodies are Breeders Clubs set up as independent organisations to promote the breeds and help newcomers as the BPA had failed to address these areas. To be effective, I understand that any competing organisation in the UK (and presumably in France) must be 'approved' by the authorites before their actions will be considered official. Failure to get such approval might lead to refusal by the authorities to recognise pigs for export as pedigree or to render such bodies ineligible for national or EU grants.

I would recommend that those in France looking to set up such a body seek expert help. I'm not sure that the BPA would necessarily be the first port of call. Perhaps a breed society for another French breed with computerised facilities and spare capacity might be worth approaching?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:44:29 am »
Mr Pig thanks I had not realised that all breed societies with only 2 exceptions are affiliated to BPA.  Regretably from my own experience of the French Breed Societies your kind suggestion would not be of help.  There is very little real enthusiasm for rare breeds amongst French breeders (in my experience at least).

Can the BPA just cut off their links with European pig breeders?  I suppose its a case of the BPA does what the BPA does.  Thanks for your kind posting.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:58:44 am by Hilarysmum »

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:18:15 am »
first have any of the french BPA membership conversed with Marcus????
second the B stands for British
third the BPA as with all organisations and clubs should be looking to increase membership and revenue generated not alienate vast tracts of potential income
as Mr pig has said HIS WORDS( the BPA is in a monopoly situation) representing 14 breeds of pig is it not better to have one body speaking for us rather than 16 different breeds all clamoring for there little piece
i am flattered that you assume the BPA is solely for my benefit IT IS ONLY YOUR ASSUMTION
if you had read any of my postings (on prices)you will see that Scotland is no better than england
PS on prices    cast cows were last wk making £1100   i was getting over this almost 20 yrs ago petrol/feed/straw etc etc was far cheaper then so we are all the same boat

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
Lillian - I did not state that the BPA was solely for your benefit, merely that of the many keepers of rare and traditional breeds, you seem to be almost alone in defending the BPA's recent actions.

Your arguments seem contradictory. Yes 'B' stands for British but these members in Europe have been given membership and facilities by the BPA in the past so presumably the 'B' having been there from the beginning is not the reason for the change now. I note that you seem to think that the initiative should come from the members in France but is not equally valid that Marcus should have approached them before this news was made public?

I'm not sure how giving the BPA this monopoly is making life better for 'us' as you put it. I'm not certain what the BPA does other than registrations that justifies their costs and would welcome your clarification on what you see. I certainly cannot claim to be enjoying anything extra from them. The Breeders' Clubs largely seem to be effective in many ways even though they are "all clamoring for there little piece" as you put it so is a monoploly best?

It's easy to live with the status quo but if the body in question is ineffective or too expensive, it's time to think of change.

By the way, I think you may find a flood of cull sows arriving in Scotland shortly.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 03:49:20 pm »
the BPA is the only body fighting our corner should we not be supportive of them
and just why are the BPA stopping international membership if at all it would just not be France that is affected
so your thinking is  the breeders clubs are more effective than the BPA
(time to think of change)  better the devil you know than the one you don't
i said COWS not SOWS they will have to take them back home THERE IS NO MARKET FOR THEM IN SCOTLAND AND MORE IMPORTANT NO SLAUGHTERHOUSE THAT TAKES THEM on a large scale

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
Where and how successfully is BPA 'fighting our corner'?

Sorry I misread your reference to 'cows' - I had assumed I was in the pig section of the forum - my fault.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS