Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hog roast  (Read 16992 times)

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
Re: Hog roast
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 11:45:14 pm »
Congratulations on your wedding jane!!
How exciting!! You are very brave and organised!!
We are getting married in May and should have done that - but we are going to a hotel.
Saying that though - before I started keeping pigs I wasn't keen on hog roasts (not the meat _ I'll bet that tastes amazing) - just the visual thing of it being a pig there. I know it's mad - but I've only killed two of my pigs am still getting my head around it. It would bother me looking and knowing that was one of my pigs. Different eating bacon, burgers etc.
Will follow this thread with interest though. Hope you get sorted xx

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
My friend does roast spits, they have purchased a larger one if you goggle "the juicy meat company" they would give you a price. 37 kilos is a waste of time to roast. For 160-200 guests a roast of 70 kilos approx is needed. My friend also breeds the pigs and they are free range breed outdoors and have done a lot of events.. They are worth a try maybe distance would be a problem but you can always ask.

Thanks for this; they look ideal, except that it's gas cooking again. 

Leri - it's not ME that's getting married  :)  It's my daughter.  And I know what you mean about being bothered about eating my dear little pigs, but being a keen meat eater, I'd rather eat what we've grown ourselves, that's killed either by us or at a local abattoir just up the road.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:17 am »
I've found a charcoal hog roast to buy, which is ideal for a large pig (of which I have several), lambs, chickens, fish and all barbecue food, which I'd like to be able to hire out to folk coming to our self-catering houses, which sleep 10, 8 and 8.  Also thought about having hog roast nights on our farm, to use our pigs, lambs, venison, etc.

Then comes the deflater, after getting all excited:  what about the regulations for selling cooked meats from the farm ?

I thought that you could sell meat direct from farm as long as it wasn't packaged - anyone know the legislation in Scotland ?
(I've tried ScotGov pages, but nothing relevant).

Surely folk staying in our holiday houses could cook their own BBQs in the gardens ?

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
tradding standards    enviromental health
food hygine certificates  etc etc
i think you will strugle to get a non gas fired spit to hire the gas is more reliable to cook (all to do with uncooked meat etc)

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:39 pm »
Jane - congratulations to your daughter then!  :D
I don't mind eating our pigs so much - it's just seeing the whole pig turning on the spit I'm a bit wierd with!
Have no idea re regs - sounds right that there might be something - especially if you are selling the meat. Can't see why holiday people can't use a barbecue though.
When is it did you say? Please do post some piccys! (I've got wedding fever at the mo!! Lol)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »
tradding standards    enviromental health
food hygine certificates  etc etc
i think you will strugle to get a non gas fired spit to hire the gas is more reliable to cook (all to do with uncooked meat etc)

Thanks, I'll check them out, now I know what I'm looking for !  

I know I can't hire a charcoal one, but I'll check that the caterers doing the afternoon buffet have the correct paperwork to use one if I buy it.

Leri - I see your point - hadn't thought of having to watch it on the spit ! Wedding is mid June.  The marquee will be going in one of our fields - it's a wellie boot wedding !

We

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:41 pm »
Fantastic!! We so should have done that!!
I went to a wonderful simple wellie boot wedding with Ger soon after we met and dreamt about us doing it ever since!
In the end though since we got engaged on Santes Dwynwen day (Welsh St Valentine's 25th January) this year - and decided not to hang about (I'm getting no younger and we might want a piglet of our own!) so rang and rang that venue but no reply so went for a lovely little local hotel instead. It has a wonderful dark wood staircase and I've fallen in love with the idea of coming down those stairs :)
Ours is before yours then!! I'll post pics for u instead! hehe

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 10:37:09 pm »
Please do, Leri.  What date is your wedding ?  I'm leaving most of the arrangements to my daughter; a bad mistake I fear !!  She has no notion of budgets  :o

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »
Hello, thought you might like to read this blog post where I did a hog roast last summer. Cheers!
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 07:35:32 pm »
May 18th :)
Yes you have to be very careful - I think anyone hears the 'W' word thinks mad woman who will pay anything for any old tat we convince her she must have for her big day!
You need to be quite basic about what you do NEED. Still isn't easy to keep cost down. It's a little bit easier to be sensible second time around as it is for me. Having two kids and no money helps you HAVE to keep the cost down! Lol
Saying that - you only do it once :) (Well twice in my case - but you know what I mean!! ;))

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »
Hello, thought you might like to read this blog post where I did a hog roast last summer. Cheers!

Looks a great occasion - and quite a few helpful tips there.  Were you selling tickets or was it just friends only ?  What licences, if any, do you need to do this ?

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »
May 18th :)
Yes you have to be very careful - I think anyone hears the 'W' word thinks mad woman who will pay anything for any old tat we convince her she must have for her big day!
You need to be quite basic about what you do NEED. Still isn't easy to keep cost down. It's a little bit easier to be sensible second time around as it is for me. Having two kids and no money helps you HAVE to keep the cost down! Lol
Saying that - you only do it once :) (Well twice in my case - but you know what I mean!! ;))

Leri - Not long now then !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 09:38:17 am »
Please post the photos when available

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:06 am »

Looks a great occasion - and quite a few helpful tips there.  Were you selling tickets or was it just friends only ?  What licences, if any, do you need to do this ?

Was just friends...   no money changed hands...   AFAIK you don't need a license - it's just a big BBQ aint it?

Yes it was a good day!
 8) :) ;D :pig:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:05 pm »
I'm thinking on the lines of selling tickets to ceilidhs after the wedding - maybe four or five a year.  We used to hold an annual sow here for horses and sheep, with a 6 mile cross country run (bogs and all), and our horse trailer as a bar.

So minus the livestock, we could have a hog roast and bar but I gather we'd need "an occasional liquer licence" and possibly a public entertainment licence too.  I wouldn't real describe burnt pig as public entertainment, but there you are  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS