Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can someone explain bloodlines to me?  (Read 4255 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
can someone explain bloodlines to me?
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »
in my ongoing research all the pedigree stock is described as being of X,Y or Z bloodlines

i gather male and female bloodlines are seperate so are all young named for the respective gendered parents bloodline?

why are some bloodlines clearly more prominent than others in most breeds?

are there advantages to seeking out obscure bloodlines?

thanks for any answers...

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: can someone explain bloodlines to me?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
There will be a lot of people who know more than me on this.
In general different bloodlines should have something different to the other, like how the pig is shaped (confirmation), and certain bloodlines maybe more show standards than meat standards. I know that in the welsh breeds workman is very much that a good meat line (well for some breeders) and lucky girl can produce show standards and good meat shaped pigs too. Like with the welsh lines, it seems a lot of breeders like them more too look like the landrace breed than the traditional welsh type, so I expect some of their rare lines will have the traditional shape (low belly to ground and shorter legs, but still with a reasonably long back and strong back legs). So from what I know you need to see the different bloodlines to know which you want. Again in general beginners go with bloodline with the highest numbers as it seems like a safe bet and will probably be of sound blood (I wont go into that for the welsh breed). Of Course if your showing pigs it also depends on the judge too, some are very stuck by the guidlines and in some cases this goes against the meat producing types, and others like to see a good spread.
I'll let the rest tell you properly as it was just over 3 years ago I had to deal with bloodlines for an employer.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »
i gather male and female bloodlines are seperate so are all young named for the respective gendered parents bloodline?

So if you have a litter out of Lucy by Timmy (for arguments sake) are the gilts registered as Lucy pigs and the boars as Timmys?

I like all this stuff - I just like knowing stuff  ;D Always good for dinner parties.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »
yep thats the gist of my question amongst others

cos in my world surely they should be Limmys or Tucys see why i'm confused...

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:24 pm »
rosemary you catch on quick
bloomer in your world nobody would know whare they are or going?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »
hence my questions

because surely a male offspring of Timmy and Lucy will still have some of Lucys traits?

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »
now take yourself mother mary father joe you would not be called jory well unless you are a north american indian and dan would censor this

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »
i think you missed my point entirely

do the bloodlines not change over time? as you obviously dont get a true copy of the parent, I know anything that doesn't meet the standards for the breed can't be registered, is it the same for bloodlines?

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:42 pm »
for arguments sake. 10 babies 5 males 5 females. If dad was called Berkswell highland standard and mum was called shutvale lucky lass (these are pedigree lines of tamworth pigs) and these piglets were born on YOUR farm ( say bloomer farm and bpa member) the males would be pedigree Bloomer Highland Standard and the females would be Bloomer Lucky Lass. Males get birth notified before the females on the same birth note form. I hope this is a little clearer for you

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:00:37 pm »
Just to add another example - my KK Boar is Brucklay Te Whangi (the Brucklay bit refers to where he was born & Te Whangi is the bloodline) my KK sow is Tillykiera Awakino. My farm is Yonderton, so boar piglets born here are called Yonderton Te Whangi 1,2,3,4,etc etc etc and gilt piglets are Yonderton Awakino.
I don't know that any one bloodline is better than another when it comes to meeting breed standards - you get good piglets and not so good (in terms of meeting breed standard) from every litter. Only the one's who meet breed standard would be registered, although everything else is still pedigree and birth notified.
I know some people who breed and advocate very close breeding (is it called line breeding ?) where daughters can be mated with fathers, in this scenario you get the very best of the breed, but also run the risk of getting the worst and having deformed piglets which have to be culled. Personally I choose not to do this and look to add another bloodline into the mix (just to REALLY confuse matters !)
Hope you're not totally confused now ? It makes more sense when you've a pedigree certificate in front of you !
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »
But doesn't this mean that there are (potentially) dozens of Yonderton Te Whangis - if you had two litters a year and five boars in each litter that's 10 new YTWs each year. If I bought a gilt by YTW, how would I know which one of teh dozens you've bred was her dad? Or am I confusing bloodlines with individual identfication - presumably each of your YTWs will have an individual ID that will identify him as my hypothetical gilts sire.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:39 am »
Each breed has a range of bloodlines - one lot of male bloodlines, and one lot of female bloodlines.

If you are breeding pedigree pigs, the males will inherit the name of the sire's (father's) bloodline, while the females will take the name of the dam's (mother's) bloodline.

The bloodline name will be the SECOND name you see on a pedigree certificate. The first name is the prefix chosen by the breeder to identify his or her herd:
e.g. one of my sows is called Tudful Jacqueline 24. This is because my prefix (chosen herd name) is "Tudful" and her bloodline is "Jacqueline" and her individual number (the 24th pig I registered as pedigree) is 24.

Other pigs will be Tudful Lucky Lass (another bloodline) xxx; Tudful Princess xxx; Tudful Melody xxx

On the male side, I have had Tudful Glen xx, Tudful Yorkshireman xx, etc etc.

Hope this helps. If you want more info, do feel free to message me.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:18:10 am »
That's it Rosemary - each Te Whangi will have a number 1,2,3, etc etc etc. But not all the boars born will be registered and kept/sold for breeding, only the very best. At the moment I only have 4 registered Te Whangi boars, but only no. 1 is entire and on the breeding register. But all the pedigree certificates have a herd book number which is noted on the eartag by means of identification.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS