Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nettle rash?  (Read 4088 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Nettle rash?
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:51:14 pm »
Hi
Might be a silly question but do pigs get nettle rash, ours have a pink rash on their ears,  we do have a few nettles in the paddock. Also they squeal and run around like a dog having a mad five minutes could this also be due to standing on nettles? Could i use germolene it they get any worse?

Oh and one more question! they both have dry skin on their backs I'm going to put e45 or baby oil on if i have some,  i assume if it's OK for a baby's bum it should be OK for a pig!!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Nettle rash?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:10 pm »
Cant say i've ever noticed pigs getting nettle rash, would have thought their skin is too thick but maybe others know either way. As for the mad 5 minutes pigs do that lol, usually just over excited bit like puppies i guess, I'm guessing they are young'ish. I wouldnt use e45 or baby oil tbh, pig oil or just simple veg oil would be fine. Give em a good rub with a horse brush or the like and they'll be happy pigs  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »
nettle rash in humans is hives or an allergic reaction to something i would not have thought that nettles were a problem just yet
when we had jerseys(cows)every time we sold one in the market the buyer would always phone complaining that it had nettle rash to me it was a scam to get money off or return the animal and get out of the sale
it is only meant to last 24hrs and is it only the ears that are affected

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »
Last year George (boar) had nettle rash on his tummy and other parts.  Calomine cream soon sorted it.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »
 (12 weeks old) Just had our first full tummy rubs! rash not so bad on ears now, doesn't  seem to be anywhere else. They are good time wasters not getting much done in the house!

HM bet George liked that!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08:31 pm »
Baby oil's fine.
 :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:34 pm »
Thanks for all your replys. Did use something called double base earlier and seems to have done the trick. Would it be worth giving them some veg/olive oil in the food?

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
do u have nettles already? ours are fierce when they come through, im sure they are worse than english ones !!! hurt for hours!!! >:(

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »
We moved here last July, I spent all summer and a few good days up to Dec pulling up nettles! In some places they were shoulder height. I can confirm nettles are very fierce here! We have some young shoots coming up now. The girls don't seem to be that keen at the mo to dig them up and eat them.

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »
Oil or avocados in their food only turns the hair glossy rather than the skin. For dry skin oil (pig/baby) will work or a mud wallow, check they dont have mange/lice (if they've been wormed, check the wormer does mange as well), though if you've had some sunny days is likely just to be dry skin.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:49 pm »
To add most of the pigs I've known don't eat nettles (ok it only comes to about 70 pigs). My mum's kune kunes dont eat nettles, and I know of 3 welsh sows that eat bracken roots but still don't eat nettles, maybe it stings their tongues (?) Or maybe I only no wimpy pigs  :D
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
They are not scratching, i have looked for lodgers but not seen any signs   ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:32 am »
To add most of the pigs I've known don't eat nettles... Or maybe I only no wimpy pigs  :D
Thankfully my OSBs do/did eat nettles, maybe because their first job was to clear a walkway that pretty much only had nettles and thistles in it! 
And yes, they did get stinging ears, I had to ration their time 'working' while they got used to it and grew up a bit.  (I had been warned, by a fella that farms Welsh pigs, that nettles would sting ears of baby pigs.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:32 am »
We have nettles, am starting to watch for new shoots for nettle lasagne  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:40 am »
Pigs can and do get nettle rash and it can be quite nasty for them and usually affects their undercarriage & ears.
My first ever lot of pigs got it, they were covered in a red speckly rash all over their bellies and i panicked and took one in a box to the vets ::), he had a fit gave me a good scolding for removing the pig from the holding and gave the pig an antihistimine jab.
Since then i administer a human antihistimine (piriton or other over counter brand) if they get it really bad and it does the trick. Tablet pushed in a strawberry or cherry tomato works well.
HTH
Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS