Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is my Dexter the usual?  (Read 3578 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Is my Dexter the usual?
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:33 pm »
I have 2 dexter 7 year old cows-1 am milking the other in calf.I milk in the morning and let the calf have the rest.How long can I continue to milk as the calf is close to a year and she was bred in November?.Also is it normal to Dexters to be a big baby when it comes to any needling or even pour on for the lice!She takes off like a shot if she can,runs to the back of the barn starts pawing the ground.If she gets really upset she kneels down on her front knees.Usually shes pretty easy going except for if she thinks your going to do something with her. I milk without her tied or stantioned just a feed bucket.Haven't got a headgate yet.Just got her last year and I don't have anyone around here that milks,most just have large beef cattle. I'm working with the other to get her into milking by hand this year too and any clues on training her right anybody has for me would be great. Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Is my Dexter the usual?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:18 pm »
As a newbie house cow owner, I'm watching this with interest.

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:40 am »
I have 2 dexter 7 year old cows-1 am milking the other in calf.I milk in the morning and let the calf have the rest.How long can I continue to milk as the calf is close to a year and she was bred in November?.Also is it normal to Dexters to be a big baby when it comes to any needling or even pour on for the lice!She takes off like a shot if she can,runs to the back of the barn starts pawing the ground.If she gets really upset she kneels down on her front knees.Usually shes pretty easy going except for if she thinks your going to do something with her. I milk without her tied or stantioned just a feed bucket.Haven't got a headgate yet.Just got her last year and I don't have anyone around here that milks,most just have large beef cattle. I'm working with the other to get her into milking by hand this year too and any clues on training her right anybody has for me would be great. Thanks

In theory you can milk her for as long as you can get sufficient milk to make it worthwhile.  However, you should wean your calf - they are normally quite self-sufficient at six months.  It is also usual to give your cow a rest from lactation for about 8/10 weeks before she is due to calf again.  Yes, some Dexters are big babies.  You should not milk a cow without it being tied or stantioned no matter how tame she is ... I know we are all guilty.  Training - always get heifers from a very young age used to having their udders handled whether you intend to milk them or not - as you never know when they might get problems in this area and will need to be treated.  Extra training for milkers - It is good to tie them up in the milking area to get them used to it a week or two before they calve - give them a very small amount of feed to encourage them whilst you clean their udder and put some udder cream on before letting them out.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »
Good advice all. I remember my grandad saying a handful of malt in a feed bucket while hand milking would quiet the most cantankerous cow. I remember hand milking Dexters as a lad and always found them quiet. Like all stock its those that are used to being handled that are easier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS