Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where to get wooden pallets for free?  (Read 69712 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
where to get wooden pallets for free?
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:55:45 pm »
Any ideas?, I've asked at a couple of places now and they both get theirs collected by a recycling company, but these were smaller firms.  I just wondered if anyone knows any of the bigger companies that let you have them for free, like B&Q, or supermarkets, or whatever.

Funny all those years there seemed to be an abundance of them left laying around and now I actually want some I can't fin any.  Will have to just keep looking I suppose.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: where to get wooden pallets for free?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:41 pm »
try some of the smaller industrial units, most of the big businesses have them collected by contract.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »
I will try a couple of smaller industrial estates, they might have some.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »
You could try builders merchants - ours is run by local people  they always seem to have pallets going spare (not like a Jewsons the're to tight to let you have any)
You are never to old to learn something new

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:21 pm »
Where I work we sell the standard sized ones but the odd sizes or any broken ones we give away to anybody who wants them. Try your local agri feed place they will certainly have pallets they can't get rid of.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »
i get mine from a local garden centre as many as i need as she struggles to get rid of them and the only other person who ever asks for them only uses them for kindling so i get first choice as she considers composters and animal houses a better use for them.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »
try local hauliers that's where i get ours from they cant use broken ones but i can :goat:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
Hi

Look for a local building project, building contractors can get penalised for landfill waste and therefore are often grateful for someone removing timber waste inc pallets.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »

Our local harbour gets through hundreds of them and there's always a few broken ones in the skips.

They make good duck boards if you've got muddy ground.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »
We get ours from ou local feed supplier. The smaller companies are the ones to aim for.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
Yep, we'd love to get hold of some too. 

We're 18 miles west of Glasgow & we've been quoted £7 upwards (per pallet) plus delivery, by a firm that advertises them for sale - as they obviously don't trust a woman driver with a trailer going into their yard to collect them  :P

We've tried local feed suppliers that we buy from, but they are surcharged £6 per pallet by the hauliers for non-return.  Apparently too many people around here have been using them in their log-burners  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »
My son came to visit on Sunday and on way over picked up 6 pallets and took them here (in Glasgow/Paisley area) - because he knew we could make something with them. ::)  So far I have a log store awaiting a tarp cover (that's my job apparently), and the beginnings of a dog shed in the big run he made for them.  He said he passed loads of them just lying about on the way over here, and obviously discarded amongst other bits and bobs of rubbish..  He did say he checked there were no security cameras on the go first. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
We're after some for keeping pig arcs off the ground.

Oh & i got a couple of servicable tarps from Morrissons for £2 each last week  :)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »
Yes, that's the ones I've got - they're not huge but they'll do nicely
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
Just make sure you weigh them down/affix them strongly - nearly lost one of mine last night & by the sounds of things outside at the mo may well be hunting one down tomorrow  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS