Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Breed??? NEED ADVICE  (Read 5772 times)

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Which Breed??? NEED ADVICE
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:40 pm »
Hey Pel, birth notified...............sorry oooops! ;)

Jason
www.hairyhogs.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »
pel you are wrong with the mangalitzas they are a fat pig and you can get up to 70litres of fat from an adult but the fat is wonderful if cooked

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »
I did say they were prone to fat, and they were bred like that. By what you say they are bred for fat. I've nothing against their fat, a bit of pork dripping/lard is very nice for lunch the next day on bread. As I said i've no practical experience of them, sorry.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:36:04 pm »
there is a breeder in mintlaw are you wanting there details
yes thanx, for interest, just curious really. are they good eating? i heard they cost hundreds but thought maybe the price settled now theyre a bit more common. i do mainly like british rare breeds though but mangas are interesting, are they as hardy as tammies? do u think they have any similarities with the extinct lincolnshire curly coated ( or whateva it was called - its getting late  ???:wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 08:58:50 am »
Personal experience they are much hardier than tammies.  (We had them for a while but Hilary hates them).  They are much fattier than tammies though, and again in my experience slower growing.  Their very thick coats insulate them against the electric which makes them better at escaping.  I found them a bit flighty.

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:00 am »
prinncess hilarysmum is right with every thing she has said
they are descendants of the linconshire curly coat or the nearest equivalent
they are flighty BUT  they can be petted there were two at last years highland show wild as anything this lady leaned over the fence and talked to them half an hour (she really wanted to take one away in her bag )after there session they were calm easier to work with and the public could stroke them i will pm you her details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »
We have a mangalitza, and

Yes they are slow growing
They produce a meat which is good for charcuterie.
They are like tamworths in their "see all, test all" view of life
And yes when first encountered they have the "wild boar" tendancy to come at you rather than run away (attack being the best form of defence!) - but if you stand your ground given a little time, they tame down quite easily, and ours is really friendly now and loves a stroke.

In Eastern hungary, where their ancesters originated, they were simply left in the woods for a year or so to fend for themselves, and then harvested, so are very hardy.

Would not recommend them for a first timer, and if you just want great tasting pork, you would do better to have a traditional native breed!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:23:01 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS