Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: storm to bring the northern lights to britain  (Read 6467 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
storm to bring the northern lights to britain
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
Britain should experience spectacular Northern Lights displays from Thursday due to a large solar storm which could disrupt communication networks, the British Geological Survey (BGS) said.
"Since February 13 three energetic solar flares have erupted on the sun and spewed clouds of charged plasma called coronal mass ejections (CMEs) out towards the earth," a BGS geomagnetic storm warning said.

"Already one CME arrived on the 14th sparking Valentine's Day displays of the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) further south than usual.

"Two CMEs are expected to arrive in the next 24-48 hours and further...displays are possible some time over the next two nights if skies are clear."

The strongest storm in four years is expected to interfere with satellites and electrical networks, with astronomers in southern China already reporting disturbances to radio communications.

The BGS Wednesday published geomagnetic records dating back to the Victorian era which it hopes will help in planning for future storms.

"Life increasingly depends on technologies that didn't exist when the magnetic recordings began," Alan Thomson, BGS head of geomagnetism said.

"Studying the records will tell us what we have to plan and prepare for to make sure systems can resist solar storms," he added.

bamford6

Re: storm to bring the northern lights to britain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:57 am »
we get them in the highlands would love to see

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21:55 am »
everything crossed you see them tonight  :wave:

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:47 am »
I have always wanted to see the 'Northern(?)' Lights - Not something that's usually on view in Wales.  And can you believe it, it feels like I'm going down with a migraine, so I'll be languishing in bed for the next 24-36 hours unable to see anything!! Can't even bear the light through the curtains - just at the time when I might get my chance, typical!!!   >:( :'(

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
oh how exciting!!  My eldest is learning about space at the moment and is constantly reading, googling and doing as much as she can to learn more. telescope is currently out and pointed at sky so guess where Milli will be later!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
Will have to hope we get clear sky this evening  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »
Oh fingers crossed - I'd love to see them too.
(As long as the storm doesn't take out my broadband :o ;))

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »
Wow I'd love to see the northern lights, it's one of my lifetime ambitions but thought I'd have to go a lot further north to see them..

How far south do they reckon the lights will be visible?  I'm betting it'll be cloudy tonight after the day we've had but I will definitely pop out for a look later.. grateful for any guidance on where to look and when :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:44 pm »
grateful for any guidance on where to look and when

UP ..... and..... later on  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry couldn't resist  !!!!

Had a perfect day here all day , but although there is a full moon out at the moment , the cloud is starting to appear , so it looks as though it will be no northern lights here tonight . But I will look anyway .
 I wonder if it will knockout  any coms or other technology  ? It has already hit some short wave radio in China by all accounts.

cheers

Russ

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »
Russ that was brilliant had me and the OH in stitches,  ;D ;D

we have got a fantastic full moon and clear sky at the moment, neither of us have ever seen them so fingers crossed we will be out later looking skywards  :wave:

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »
  And can you believe it, it feels like I'm going down with a migraine, so I'll be languishing in bed for the next 24-36 hours unable to see anything!! Can't even bear the light through the curtains   >:( :'(

Have you tried Feverfew capsules?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »
my mum lived in Iceland for many years and says they are spectacular.  Despite being to Iceland several times, I've never been lucky enough to see them myself yet :(

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »
It's foggy here tonight same as it was last night, fingers crossed the fog lifts. i really want to see them, and have done for years   :)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »
Did anyone have any luck with the northern lights sightings last night ???? Those of you in Scotland should have had the best chance.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 08:16:27 pm »
nothing here in buckie, will be looking out tonight, but its rather cloudy, but ya never know eh  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS