Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Siromer Tractors  (Read 23986 times)

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
Siromer Tractors
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:29:57 am »
Hi,
As per our welcome post, we are going to be complete newbies at running a 4 acre smallholding, one thing we have realised is that we will need either a full size (may be to big ?) or one of the compact Tractors, Siromer to be precise, I know the Chinese can have a dodgy rep. on some of their products, so we will be keen to here of anyone in particular who runs a Siromer Tractor, the land we will be getting is very hilly in places, so what Horsepower should we be looking at /

Cheers
Denise and Geoff

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Siromer Tractors
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »
hi denise and geoff, we have 1 1/2 acres on slope and 4 acres rented down the lane, depending on the gradient of your slope you shouldnt need anything above 40hp and in compact tractors perhaps less than that. we have a john deere 955 with a front loader and rear digging arm like small jcb which is an excellent machine yanmar diesel easy start very cheap to run. although its on grass tyres if your on any slope 4wd is better, with only 4 acres  have you considered a vintage tractor, you get a lot for your money plenty of restored ones about, my ferguson 35 does everything on our smallholding including work on bank. also loads of implements second hand at sales far cheaper than new prices.have a look on affordable tractors bristol lots of second hand and new on here with plenty of information on them. if you havent had experience of driving on banks with a tractor be very careful, safety cabs or rollover bars are a must many a wise old farmer has been killed by machines rolling on banks.  afraid im not familier with siromer if you go for an import check avail of parts. best of luck ..............neil

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:40:47 pm »
You may wish to visit this website...http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

In these forums you'll find owner information on tractors they own.  I did not see siromer tractors listed but information on other tractors may be of interest.

Myself, I own a 50 hp Farmtrac 60 (2 wheel drive) tractor.  I use the tractor for keeping my trails on my small tree farm cleared, hauling firewood, plowing etc.

Unfortunately Farmtrac USA went bankrupt...something to think about when buying an off brand, especially these days.

Good Luck

Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »
Would an ATV not be a better bet for you than a tractor? Or a horse?

I don't know why I'm posting here - my technocal abilities (or lack thereof) are legendary.

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:55:29 am »
Hi Rosemary,
Not sure on the atv front, I used to race motorbikes and beat myself up bad a few times, so any mention of Motorbikes or anything like them (My Mrs would class an atv in the same class as a bike ) get the lovely Denise all of a cafuffle  ;D , so she thinks I would be safe on something like a nice slow Tractor, mmm but you have got me thinking, there is a class for quads in my old Enduro club he he, divorce court here we come  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:33:55 pm »
I've asked Santa for a day out quad biking. If I get back safe and don't fall off, I'll reassure your OH.

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »
Hi, we're in a similar situation to yourselves. We recently bought 4.5 acres and had the same tractor problem After endless research we ended up buying a Jinma 25hp, same as a Siromer but badged differently. We had it assembled before delivery and fitted with a front end loader. We've had it six months now and it has been a fantastic bit of kit for very little money. We had ours delivered from UK (we live in France).

The company we used couldn't have been more helpful.
I know you can buy the Siromer as a self assembly kit. My mate here did that and it all went well. If you want more info don't hesitate to contact me.

cheers  Graham

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:35:34 pm »
Hope you enjoy the quad biking Rosemary, you just got to remember, no matter how out of shape you get, dont try and put your foot down  ;D

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:39:18 pm »
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the kind offer of help, I did test drive a Siromer at my local dealers last week, I was very suprised by the build quality, I know the Chinese have a bad rep on some of the products that come from there, but the Tractors looked very well built, and the diesel engine sounded very healthy, I did take a look at the Tractor you got, I think they are a bit cheaper than the Siromer, but as is usual, with all these best layed plans, our house sale fell through, so we just got to keep our fingers crossed no one beets us to the small holding we found
Regards
Denise and Geoff

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:03:49 pm »
Hello all.   Well we went through endless articles about tractors and after several MONTHS of research, we settled on a 40hp TYM and which has a front loader, a bale spike and a small trailer.    We were able to test drive 2 others in the range and found that despite thinking we could get away with a small engine, when it came to it.....NO WAY.   Its still a small tractor, dead easy to drive and does everything we need it to on our 13 acres.   Its also a Japanese make (which are supposed to be much better than chinese) and is actually a Kubota engine.
Probably just confused the issue even further.....but at the end of the day, if you are able to test drive any for a week or (on your property) that's by far the best way before making a decision.   We changed our minds 3 times!!!
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:42:29 am »
Hi Blinkers,
Thanks for the reply, I did test drive the Siromer as was plesantly suprised at the look of the build quality, but as you say the proof is in trying one out in your own surroundings . I will check out the tractor you bought, but as in my previous post, may not nead it as soon as we thought with our house sale falling through, but fingers crossed no one will pip us to the post on the smallholding we have found.
Regards
denise and Geoff

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 03:35:36 pm »
Keeping our fingers crossed for you.  Oodles of luck.   :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS