Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kunes for pork  (Read 24947 times)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Re: Kune Kunes for pork
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »
What a great topic….. We have never kept pigs but wanted to rear our own for the freezer, did a bit of research and decided to go for Kune Kunes, they appear to meet our needs on size and temperament.
Thanks to Karen (happy hippy) we are looking forward to our first two additions shortly, once they are weaned.

Now reading all your posts on feeding techniques due to my own inexperience I’m now embarrassingly confused :-[…. …..I thought pig nuts, fruit and veg and access to good grass would be OK.Now worried that will make them too fatty?

Question…. Should I be feeding hay and straw as part of a staple diet?
Question…. Free ranging on ample grass, just how much pig nuts if any according to previous post should I be feeding to provide a quality carcass?

Thanks
Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
Hiya Dave  :wave:

So you did it then  ;) good on you.  Karen has some lovely KKs, we have one of her young boars she breed last year as stud for our gilts - Sos (Son of Syd) has the most amazing temperament, even though he is now a fully functioning lad he still rolls over for his tummy tickles & he is so gentle with the girls.  He even shares his food trough with our castrate!

Don't get in a panic about the feeding, while the grass is plentiful & growing they will only need a little in the way of nuts & veg - think "treats" to keep them tame (though I advise you to feed them from a trough/bucket not by hand, as they will very quickly learn to expect it all the time & may become "nippy").  They could easily survive with only grass as adults through the spring/summer, though need the extra whilst they are very young. 

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

chickenfeed

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »
 ;)mum has had roast kk for dinner the crackling was to die for the meat so tender and full of flavour and the dripping will keep dad happy this week, so they are both sold on kk's and we have had home made kk sausages for tea tonight they were fantastic.

we will be booking in the next 2 very very soon.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
My Kune Kune crosses were bought with the intention of slaughter.  I'll be taking 2 weaner boars and 4 adult gilts for meat then breeding the 3 remaining females and the cycle will continue.  Never done this before so don't know if it'll work out but then again i am not overly bothered if i only do 1 at a time and keep the meat.  They don't take much looking after and are rly happy where they are

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 10:02:36 pm »
Welshlass  :wave:

What are your KKs crossed with? & why not purebred KKs - is it a question of cost/availability or taste/finishing?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS