Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kunes for pork  (Read 24948 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
Re: Kune Kunes for pork
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 11:33:16 am »
got ours back friday.......made 160 sausages! and have filled my freezer aswell as friends and family sales!!they covered the cost of slaughter and butchering and a bit more ;)

ours were 9 months old...kk's dead weight were..39.6,43.7 and 49.6kg's....the mangalitza was 50.8kg at 7 months

we've had some chops and a joint over the weekend and a sausage sarnie aswell..

they taste looooovely.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
'can't rain all the time!'

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »
hello, not wanting to step on anyones toes but we have had a litter of Kune Kune piglets, 5 days old and we are Aberdeenshire, at the moment hoping to sell as pets but got to have my "farmer head" on too just in case we dont sell them they would be potential sausages!

HappyHippy

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
Hello  :wave:
Please, PLEASE get your wee boars castrated before selling them to 'pet' homes and be sure to tell everyone that they will root as youngsters and show them the size of fully grown adults so they are aware of this. The 'micro' pig craze has led to all sorts of people wanting a single Kune as a house pet  >:( As breeders, we've got to make sure we are responsible with who we sell to. Are yours registered ? If so, they'll be advertised on the KK society website once you send in your birth notification form and you should get interest from there.
HTH
Karen

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »
castration is booked, im a member of the BKKS, will have mum and dad on show, and definately nobody with a "street" address will be considered!

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »
sorry, i should say when i say pet i mean kept as a farm animal but got a name ;) and not for eating

HappyHippy

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 04:20:05 pm »
I knew what you meant though - outside pets  ;) ;D
Sounds like you've got it all covered  ;D Have you heard of the SPKA http://scottishpigs.co.uk (gotta get a plug in  ;)) You should join up and get ready to show 'em off  ;D It's all in the name of promoting pigs & pork in Scotland  ;D :pig: :yum: :pig: :love:
Karen x

chickenfeed

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »
the first KK came back today weighing in at 46kg the meat looks great, will be taste testing over the weekend.

we will be taking 2 more in the next few weeks and have them sausaged.

HappyHippy

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »
Hi Chickenfeed & Littlemisspiggy :wave:
I think it would be usefull (for everyone and not just me being nosey) if, as long as you don't mind, you were to post-
1) what age they were (and if male were they castrated ?)
2) what you fed them on a daily basis,
3) how much of an area they had to forrage in
4) how much fat they have (just roughly)
and most importantly
5) how good do they taste  :yum:
Got to try and convince more people to keep 'em ;) ;D ;D ;D
Thanks,
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:09 pm »
Karen  :wave:

Will there be any KK products available  :yum: at Lillian's on the 17th?

:love:  :pig: :love: x
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

chickenfeed

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »
ours were uncut boars june 2010 born and fed on mango's and vegatables with a daily helping of hay and barley straw, each pig would be fed about 1/2 a bucket of fruit and veg twice a day. the fat is a tad over 1" so much less than we thought.
atm the only downside i can see is the slaughter cost remains the same despite the kk's being smaller but we put up with that with the dexters.
we will be breeding our own asap as a addition to the traditional pigs we keep.

HappyHippy

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
Thank you Chickenfeed  :wave:
Can you just confirm whether you did or didn't feed pig nuts ?
Where my pigs go for slaughter the kill fee is a flat charge and the butchery costs go by weight, so I'm a bit luckier in that respect.
Kunes are great little pigs and I just love mine..........just got to convince everyone else now  ;D ;D ;D

Beewyched - mine aren't going to be ready to go til the late summer  :( But as soon as they are you're very welcome to come and taste it  ;)  :yum:

chickenfeed

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »
not one pig nut, we dont feed nuts to any of our pigs we mill our own but the kk's only every had wheat meal if we were short of fruit and veg but never more than 1lb per pig per day of meal with pleanty of hay. they are the most cheap pigs to feed we have ever had we are pleased we gave them ago.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
That's a shame Karen - but will definately take you up on the offer  :yum: :pig: :love:

From what Chickenfeed's just posted it sounds like I'm way overfeeding  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

chickenfeed

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
some days they choose not to eat up kk's dont need large ammounts and over feeding will just make fat as with most pigs the extra fat is caused by overfeeding. having said that they soon eat away at the straw beds  ;)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »
I wondered where their bedding was disappearing to  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS