Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kunes for pork  (Read 24910 times)

HappyHippy

Kune Kunes for pork
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »
I've posted this as an answer on another thread, so apologies if you've already read it ! But I thought it was worth a seperate thread  ;D

A lot of people write off Kune Kune's as 'pets' - way to cute, couldn't possibly eat that and oh my - expensive bacon 
Can I put forward a case FOR keeping Kunes for meat (okay, so I know I'm biased, since I have them - but hear me out ;))
1) They don't tend to root up the land as much as a 'standard' pig.

2) They do not require the same amount of feed as 'standard' pigs.
In fact standard pig feed has too high a protien level and is inclined to make then run to fat. I feed mine on wheat feed pellets (which are cheaper than pig nuts) at half the amount for 'standard' pigs (ie. half a pound for each month of age) only when there is no grass or supply of fruit and veg. They will grow well on good grass and a suppliment of fruit and veg during most of the year.

3) They can be housed in a smaller area and with a smaller house than 'standard' pigs (meaning you can fit more in ;) ;D)

4) They're REALLY hardy ! My adults have been out ALL winter and up here in Scotland there's been a few -20 C nights and deep snow - they cope brilliantly with it, being so hairy.

The meat is wonderfull - full of flavour and well worth sampling. So although it's a slightly higher outlay and they take longer to reach slaughter size (10 months onwards) there are big savings to be made in terms of feeding and butchering charges - I've not worked out exactly how the numbers stack up - but I'm sure they won't work out any more expensive than 'standard' pigs.

So c'mon guys, give the little guys good consideration when buying your next weaners !
(Just as a matter of coincidence, I've got a litter due soon ;) ::) :love: :pig:)
Karen

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Kune Kunes for pork
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
HH-

Totally agree that the KK is written off by many people as just a pet pig, when it can be a great meat pig !

Hope your litter sells !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
Hi

Cannot comment on pure KK but our first pig that we bought reared and ate  was a KK x with Pietrain - and it was extremely rich and yummy.  :yum:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:20:24 pm »
posted a reply ... but its got lost!
 I'll give you a taste-verdict in the summer, when our two-plus-one for a friend Kunes go as sausages....

but they are lovely "little" things, really good natured and less destructive than great big porkers. 
Little Blue

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
Karen,

I posted the original post, thanks for a concise update.  What do you think the final kill weight is with your feeding programme.  Can't do anything at the moment as my partner has not yet moved up full time, however should this happen do you take orders,  would probably look for a breeding pair/trio or do you know off anyone in the highlands also.

Many thanks
Lee

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:58 pm »
I have been thinking on getting a couple of Kune Kunes for pork but did not know if they made good meat pigs. We went for the Large Black as our first venture into having our own pork and enjoyed having them so much. due to my inexperience I let them get a bit on the fat size having them slaughtered at 24 weeks. My 2 weaners cost £120 to buy and quite a bit to feed, they wrecked the paddock which did not bother us as it is one we only use when we need a pony to be off good grass. Cost wise what do Kune Kunes cost as weaners, I am near Banff which is North of Aberdeen and do not know if anyone up here breeds them. I have planned to plant more pig friendly veg in my plot this year, quick growing stuff if possible rather than buying so much in to help with cost. :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
we are about to have our first kk go to slaughter 1/2 for us and 1/2 for a guy that wants to make italian sausages after hearing great things about them we decided to take the plunge and got ourselfs 3 for the freezer and a breeding pair so i will let you know how we get on in a few weeks.

we weighed them at the weekend and was pleased to see they were now 130lb and all the feed has been free mostly mango's and kiwi along with the hay the goats leave.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »
how old are yours chickenfeed?
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »
Okay - to try and answer some of the questions  ;)
My 5 month weaners are all approx 50Kg at the moment, by the time they get to 10 months I'm easily expecting them to reach 85Kg liveweight (same as 'standard' ones)
Floyd - there are people up North with them (check the KK society website for details) - but I'd prefer it if you bought mine, obviously ! We do have family in Aberdeen and could always arrange a delivery to fit in with a visit  ;D Can/will take orders, I can provide you with a couple of gilts or a boar but don't have a completely unrelated boar for sale (just my wee ginger newbie- who's services are available for stud ;))
Prices, ooooo everybody gets nervous and a bit iffy discussing this publicly - I don't  ;D In an effort to get everyone finding a space for some eating KK's I'm thinking along the lines of £80 per non-breeding pig and £125-150 for breeding quality ones (I'm really fussy what one's I register though and only had 3 that were good enough from my last litter) But, as always I love a good haggle and am quite prepared to barter - chickens, other breeds of pigs, fence posts, manual labour  :o Always open to suggestions  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I'll sit down and do 'the maths' as soon as I get a minute (lol! in this house that could be about a week on Tuesday ;))
HTH and any questions - ask away  ;D
Karen x

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:47:43 pm »
 ;)little blue they were born june 2010

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:02 pm »
 I found my VPBP's great to eat provided they were not allowed to get "pet" fat ;)
The only thing I thought was KK's are very expensive for the size and still cost the same as an ordainary pig to slaughter

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »
I got banished to the office for shouting at the TV when the mini-pig guy was on ::) So here's the sums (they do look very good ;))
Based on 1 pig (but only cos it's easier to work out - always get at least 2  ;D)
Purchase price (from me, anyway)                £80
Feed to take them to 10 months old, which is probably going to give a liveweight of over 85Kg so being a bit generous(assuming wheat feed pellets for 4 months at half standard rations and grass & fruit and veg only for 4 summer months)
6 x 25Kg bags @ £5.50 each                       £33
Fruit & veg (it's personal choice how much you feed and how much you pay for it - or grow it, or get waste from shops etc) could be as little as free or as much as you want, but as an example                             £40
Total (not including bedding etc)                  £153

Let's compare that to a 'standard' pig
Purchase price (for a pedigree)                                       £60
Feed (1lb per month of age, per day for 5 months, assuming April purchase & September slaughter)
14 x 20Kg bags @ £6.97 each                                        £97.98
Total for 'standard' pig at approx the same weight             £157.98
So, there you go - better than I thought ! And if you're growing fruit and veg or have a free supply there's the potential for even more savings to be made ;)

Only one question remaining now - who wants some Kunes ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:45 pm »
happy hippy      just a few questions
you do you not indicate any weights for killing
why the difference in the bag weight and price
and no fruit for the pedigree ones >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :o :o :o :o :o :o

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:13:19 pm »
Sorry, didn't make myself clear..............Robert ? ;D
Kill weights - don't have any as I've not slaughterd any..........yet ! Will be able to give you exact details (and a few chops) come June ;)
Liveweight @ 5 months for mine are 50Kg and Chickenfeed's ones are 7 months and 130lbs (60Kg) so assuming that continued growth, 85Kg @ 10 months is not unfeasible ?
The difference in bag weight and price is because I feed wheat feed pellets to the KK's (lower protien levels, hence less fat) - it comes in 25Kg sacks and costs less than the 20Kg sacks of farmgate grower/finisher/sow & weaner nuts which is what I'd feed a 'standard' pig.
You can add in fruit for the pedigrees too - but it would mean that instead of KK's being £4 cheaper to raise, they'd be £44 cheaper  :o :o :o ;) ;D ;D ;D
Does that help  ;) ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:45:54 am »
well im sold on the plan,

now i just need my masterplan to work to get me some land in scotland and im sorted...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS