Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Conditioner for Pigs!  (Read 2519 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Conditioner for Pigs!
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
You'll be sick of me soon enough!

I know that show pigs will be pig oiled up but what about lazy stay at home pigs like mine?! Daisy looks a bit dull, her skin is a bit flaky. She loves a good scratch with the horse groomers but I was wondering if anyone oils their pigs for comfort? I know I'd be more comfy with soft skin rather than tight flaky skin but I am terrible for humanising my animals!

An unnecessary act of molly coddling or common practice!

They always get factor 50 on their ears in summer (even though Daisy is black, she gets jealous when Violet gets all the attention!) but nothing the rest fot he year?  :) :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Conditioner for Pigs!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:19:10 pm »
Pig oil is designed to keep their skin in tip top condition (not just for showing ;)) Mine love a good rub with oil, then a brush with a horses grooming brush (but I've got very hairy KK's)
Not molly-coddelling at all, they LOVE it and it's great for getting up close and personal with them so makes it much easier for checking them, jaging them etc

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »
No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing this weekend!! ;D

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »
Vegetable oil is supposed to work well, she'll love being brushed with a stiff horse grooming brush first to clean her up and exfoliate  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:10:05 pm »
I use veg oil unless Hilary is in with them, as she has been known to lick it off.  Never found pig oil over here.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »
I use veg oil unless Hilary is in with them, as she has been known to lick it off. 

Why doesn't it surprise me, that Hilary eh ?! PLEASE do it HM, film it and post it on youtube ! I'd love to see that !
 :-*

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:02:23 am »
 ;D ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:02 am »
We use Johnson's baby oil as were uable to get pig oil! makes them smell beautiful  ;D
For internal conditioner we feed our growing gilts 2 tbsp cod liver oil twice a week mixed in their feed, you can get at most horsey merchants, quite expensive but helps in the winter when theres no sun to boost their vitamin D. and they seem to like the taste. One of my older ladies also gets evening primrose capsules but thats another story! ;)
HTH Mandy

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:35:10 am »
Mandy is that not a problem if they go for meat or are they keepers?! Just thinking about it being an animal derivitive and all ...

I'll get cracking very soon, I don't want them waiting until the sun comes out and burning! :o

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »
They're growing keepers  ;D and the old lady on the EP oil is 6 + 1/2yrs old and has had so many horse drugs for her various ailments over the years partly due to her size she's over 50 stone!! ;D she'll never enter the food chain.
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS