Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding - I think I've lost my confidence!! Long!  (Read 7857 times)

blonde

Re: Breeding - I think I've lost my confidence!! Long!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »
My vets killed themselves laughing when I called them earlier when I told him that I would be expecting some piglets some time around July and to make sure he was on call all night (I was calling to as about vaccinations for dogs, horses and pigs)!!

By chance it was the same vet I called and told him to get here quick on boxing day because Violet looked like she was going to die (shaking and being sick and tottering around). By the time he got there I have given her a tummy massage and she had done a big fart, it turned out to be too much greed and a touch of wind  :-[. £130 that cost me!!! Must stop worrying so much!!  ::)

sorry, but I really did laugh out loud at that!
  sounds like you're going to be absolutely fine - plenty of planning and organising gone on already.
good luck anyway  :)
sorry but I had to have a chuckle also.    You know nature will look after the good old pig just as it has done for thousands of years.  If she is going to farrow best she farrow at night, cool, quiet.  Why not try  sitting quiety with her while she is having them but dont make a sound and dont handle the piglets  otherwise she will jump up and growl.  She does it ever so well and in the dark as well as the light.  Pigs have great eye  sight at night as when it is a hot day they feed at night so have to be able to see.  Not like us we need a torch.
Please relax and let nature take its course.  Babies are the most exciting part of pig keeping I reckon.   I just love it.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04:37 pm »
Lol some great advice here but if you want to see panicking you should read my threads when mine farrowed 6 weeks ago!
Seriously though our Boris stayed in with the girls right up until a week before, we brought them all into pens in the barn and they farrowed inside and stayed in until 4 weeks old as the weather was bad.
I wasn't anywhere near as prepared as you so relax you'll be fine but make sure you've got some guinness in just in case and HappyHippy on speed dial :-)))

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »
I'm agreeing with everyone, and only adding that separating is a good idea. Some gilts/sows can nick the other sows babies and so one ends up with all of them and the other has none, and it isnt great for all parties concerned. If the weather is warm I'd get them out as soon as you can, say day 2 or 3. If you can and your stables are warmer than their arks, you can always let them come and go for a week or two before out into the field, though thats only if we are having an unusually cold summer, I'd probably only do that in winter/late autumn/early spring. 
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS