Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cattle break in  (Read 6458 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
cattle break in
« on: December 06, 2008, 05:44:44 pm »
 hi i hve mentioned before on feed and it was a great help it was all going well untill i went down today i have found that the cattle have got into the feed store the had some how got in
so from my workinf out off the feed i had stored in there they have eaten

6 coneventional bales of hay 
20kg of a cake mixture
and a gr8 big box of veg apples ,oranges ,carrots e,t,c that was ment for the pigs that arrive tomorrow

what do i do ??
 i had thought about kinda starving them for the next few days as from my working out they have eaten 6 days worth of hay 4 days worth of cake
my little heifer calf seems to have a bloated stomach the same with the 18 month old as well
ideas people calling on all your knowledge please 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: cattle break in
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:06:28 pm »
Phone your vet now. if they get bloat it will be more expensive than if he is called for advice
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:57:25 pm »
i havent managed to get hold of the vet but i have spoke to the farmer i got them from and he has said about staving them for a few days and to keep an eye on it he has just poped down to have a look for me and advise he did think it was funny at first i bloody didnt its has cost me money  but advice is still welcomed
the term he used was its like a child that has eaten to many sweets  they have a tummy ache for a bit then theyll be right as rain
 ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:46:55 pm »
Hope he's right.  Bloat in a dog is a killer, and a horrid way to die too.  So do keep an eye on them and I hope they are all Ok in the morning.  You'll no doubt be camping in the cowshed tonight ;) can you get internet wireless access out there ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:19:06 am »
we sometimes get bloat in lambs which is caused by the changes in the stomach getting used to fibre - we treat this with a 1/4 of a rennie or other indegestion tablet. One of the signs of immenent problems is seeing lambs starting to lick cement walls looking for lime.

There are two different kinds of bloat - one is gassy bloat  the other is foam bloat which is harder to treat Liquid parafin works sometimes as well
Ian

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »
Never thought of rennies - would that work in dogs, do you think? There a re a number of breeds that are prone to this, bigger breeds and specifically greedy ones that gulp their food

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:49:03 pm »
I have a Weimaraner and they are very prone to torsion (twisted gut) somewhat like colic in horses, and I was told that if she was one of the ones that tend to get it (and she is) to give her a slice of white bread. This is meant to stop the problem before it happens , there are signs when it is starting . I do this and it works very well . Only white bread does it though . She knows when she is getting it and comes to me for her slice of bread. Sometimes it has gone too far for the bread to work and she knows this ...and won't take the bread. At these times we just have to walk up and down the hill till she works it off. I hate to think of what would happen if we didn't catch it in time, as ,like with horses , there is a point beyond which nothing works and there is only one outcome !!!!! I feed her twice a day , to avoid a big a meal ,one with a slice of bread. This has worked well for her for 8 years now, I know white bread isn't meant to be good for anybody , but it has saved my lovely ole Millie many a time . As with any form of torsion/colic , once the gut has twisted nothing I know of would untwist it apart from an operation . Any animal given food with this , would soon suffer dreadfully as it would just build up and make the problem very much worse, but it helps my dog when I hear her belly gurgling and her eyes go from yellow to black and she is somewhere out on Pluto , I know she is having problems . It is just one of those things that we live with and learn to cope . The boys, ( Spaniels ) don't get it at all ....thank god , one is enough to cope with .

Cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:43:49 am »
Yep, Weims are one of the prone breeds.  Hadn't heard of the white bread trick,  will pass that one if I hear of anyone with problems.  Thank you, Russ.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:53 am »
thanks for the tip rustyme - my friends have just aquired a Weimaraner so will pass the information on to them.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »
you don't need to waste the vets time on this .

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:31:37 pm »
The bales of hay will not have caused a problem, and they can probably cope with the fruit etc.  but how many cattle have been among the cow feed?  If te 20kgs was shared among a few of them, thats not too bad.  I would think they will need a lot of water though to wash that lot through!!

Had it been horses, I would have worried about colic, but I think the cows will cope ok.  They will feel a bit full for a while. If they chew the cud, they will be ok.

I give my goats bicarb of soda in water, or cream crackers - that works wonders when they are bloated.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »
cows have 4 stomachs to digest fodder of all sorts

horses have only the one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS