Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners of different ages  (Read 2568 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Weaners of different ages
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »
We're looking at getting started with a couple of batches of weaners this year whilst we get established and find some suitable breeding sows/gilts. Last year we did GOS weaners and so the plan was to do some of those and also try to find another breed (probably saddlebacks if I can find any near Cambs). I'd like to try some different breeds before settling on which kind of breeding stock to get.

Can anyone advise if we will need separate arks and fields if we get two lots of weaners of slightly  different ages (say a month or two apart) or will they all rub along together fine?

Thanks.

HappyHippy

Re: Weaners of different ages
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:18 pm »
Gilts probably will be okay - depending on size and temprament, just keep an eye for bullys. My Berkshires and Large Blacks share quite happily(3 month age difference), as long as they've got plenty of room and fair share of the food ;)
Mixing boars on the other hand is a definate no-no, they'll fight to the death. If you decide to go for seperate pens and have boars in each, block their view of each other and their ability to get nose to nose for the same reason.
HTH
Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Weaners of different ages
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:52:36 am »
As Karen says, but remember piglets grow quickly, so what may fit now may well be too small in a few weeks time.  Worth considering buying/building a second ark in readiness. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS