Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding  (Read 2785 times)

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
feeding
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
ok..i have just finished fencing of a bit of a field for some pigs.i have an old refridgerated lorry body with the fridge bit removed for thier house.its insulated and is lovely and warm.all i need to do is get some straw sort out a drink system and buy some food.i will have to manualy carry water to them..its not far though.dont know what to use though???.for a trough i mean?.dont want to pay silly money for one of them mexican hat style things.hoping someone can give me a bit of advice.also how much food per pig[weaner]do i give.any advice will be much apreciated.all the best.hoggsbreath :pig:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »

I give my pigs water in a cut off plastic barrel which fits inside a large tyre, they have a metal trough for feed but if they are greedy I use horse feed trugs, which are made from recycled tyres, and give them one each. I don't usually leave them in with them but have on rare occasions and they have not managed to destroy them.
Anne

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »
hi
we managed to get an old fashioned stone trough (small 3ft x 2ft)
our girls didn't manage to shift it
Manian :pig: :love: :pig:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
I was lucky enough to 'inherit' an old iron water trough for ours, but a friend successfully raised a couple of batches of weaners using an old washing up bowl set into a small block for concrete.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »
Hiya,
I've used basins/trugs inside tyres and they work okay - then I found this !  ;D
https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/tyre-bowl-feeder-drinker-p-1276.html It really works a treat and has the added bonus of being able to tip up easily for cleaning  ;)
For feeding - the usual is 1lb per month of age (or whatever they can eat in 15-20 mins)- up to a maximum of 6lbs per pig per day. If they're getting loads of fruit and veg this counts as a quarter of the value of their nuts ration eg. 4lbs fruit & veg = 1lb pig nuts.
HTH
Karen x

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:56:54 pm »
thanks all.cant wait to get some pigs.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:08:36 am »
Bearing in mind that pigs drink loads, tip it up, make a wallow from it, etc. etc. you need an easy method of transporting water.

When the pipes freeze up here I transport water in 20 litre camping bottles on the wheelbarrow.  Its heavy and hard, but makes lighter work than tramping up and down with a watering can.  Also if you can find enough bottles always leave a couple of full ones just outside the fence so that when you walk past (just after giving them their water) and see the upended/full of mud/piglet sitting in it water container, you will not have to walk all the way back to replenish the water.

Be prepared to get a flat stomach (well theoretically) and big muscles from pulling the wheelie full of water cans.

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:53:19 am »
i have aquired a huge container.it was used for containing olive oil.its about the size of 2 of them bulk builders bags.i have a tractor to move this about.so thats that problem solved.oh well who needs a flat stomach lol.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »
Dont worry pig keeping will keep you fit.  I forget other people actually use technology (tractor) we are still in the stone age here.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:13 am »
We just use shallow tub trugs inside tryes. They're rinsed out and filled up twice a day and each hold about 5 gallons ... Our 3 sows get through 3 or 4 a day this time of year but at least 5 or 6 in the summer :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS