Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: piglets  (Read 2253 times)

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
piglets
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:22 pm »
is it ok to transport pigletts in the back of my van.just starting out and wondered if this was ok.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: piglets
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:18 pm »
Hi
We picked up our 3 month old weaners in a van last year - the pigs were in the back in a large dog crate.
Enjoy  ;D
Tish

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:20:24 am »
Go on a day when you can have all the front windows open, take plenty of kitchen roll and old supermarket plastic bags  for the poo.  DONT BREAK DOWN the AA have a hard time believing their eyes when a pig sticks its head out of the passenger side window!!!!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »
We brought two GOS piglets all the way from Essex to North Yorkshire in the back of a transit van. i should think people would have thought it funny in the services if they could have seen me giving piglets a drink of water out of a dog bowl  ;D
Advice is to cover the floor with plastic sheet, spread small bale of straw, use a couple of other small bales or hurdle to section off area so they don't have the whole of the back to rattle round in and off you go. You will need to open the windows to let out the smelly farts!! When you get home, take out piggies, take out bales/hurdle, gather up corners of plastic c/w straw, pig poo & wee and proceed to burn. Job done.
HTH
Mandy
ps the basis of any animal transport is that it can be well cleaned afterwards to stop disease transfer, hence plastic sheet otherwise you'll need to scrub like hell with disinfectant to clean out the back of your van! Also if your van is one that has enclosed back and no access via passenger part you'll need to have a light and stop for fresh air depends how far you're transporting them.

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:16 pm »
some great advice.thanks you lot ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »
Gotta laugh that's how we picked our girls up in the back of a transit. We sectioned an area off and they just jumped over it.. Crapped everywhere the van stunk for weeks after,but they were fine. Lol!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »
helen
thank you for making me laugh out loud  ;D ;D
mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »
You're welcome Mandy  ;D
Worse thing was it was hubby's company van and the other blokes at work couldn't understand why robs van stunk so bad.. He couldn't say as I'm sure his boss wouldn't have been happy. I think they thought rob had serious digestive issues! ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS