Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off food  (Read 4608 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Off food
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:33:20 am »
Hi my girls have both lost their appetites and I'm looking for advice. I've kept them in since Xmas eve with babies born 8/1 but was planning to let them out again on Saturday now the weather has warmed up. I've been giving the piglets creep feed morning and night and the girls appetites have reduced since then. It seems likely to me that 1 or 2 things are going on or a bit of both.

1. They're not producing so much milk so don't need to eat as much (they were on around 8 kg per day)
2. They're depressed at being kept in for so long.

I can't find any signs of temperature although Kims udder is still very firm but not hot.

Suggestions?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Off food
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:47 am »
Some of my sows do reduce their feed demands as the piglets start to feed on creep food, and 8 k each sounds quite a lot, do you feed it in several small feeds or just in 2 feeds?

They probably need to be outside now.

Try tempting treats like bananas (do yours eat the skins?) sliced apples any other fruit you have available.  (not citrus obviously).  My friend swears by marmite on the tongue to make them eat.

Unless they are dropping weight I wouldnt worry too much.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
The piglets should still be getting a lot of their nourishment from milk at 3 weeks old, so they should only be getting a wee drop of food in the creep (don't start to give them their own rations til about 6 weeks)and your girls should be approaching 'maximum rations' ie. 3-4 lbs for the sow and 1lb for each piglet.
They're possibly just a bit over-fed :-\ Any signs of constipation? that would put them off too.
If the piglets are all doing well, I'd be tempted to get them back outside BUT if you're putting both girls in together you'll need to have your piglets tagged/ID'd before you do that.
HTH
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:21:20 am »
8kg of food each day sounds way too much as karen says 3 or 4lb for herself and then 1lb per piglet (sorry don't do metric ;)) so approx 14lb per day (based on 10 piglets) which is just over 6kg. (sorry maths not my strongpoint!! ???)
As karen says check not constipated but i would let them miss a feed or two then try them with a small amount so long as they're drinking plenty. I try to break the feed down over 4 feeds thro out the day and find this helps. Let the girls out for a walk if you can but leave the piglets inside and then let the girls go back to them.
HTh
mandy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:13:13 pm by Fowgill Farm »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
Thanks all Kim is a bit constipated but Aggie isn't. I got the ration ratio from practical pigs book and that went up to 10 kilos for aggie but that was clearly too much. I think you're right moms and babies probably getting too much feed so I'll cut back and tempt them with some fruit. It might help Kim with the constipation.
I wish I wasn't working and could get them out before Saturday as they're looking very fed up, probably bored rigid too.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »
Is the book you mean Practical Pigs by Paul Smith?
I have this relegated to the bottom of the pile, its aimed at small commercial concerns of commercial breeds of pigs which are nothing like the little darlings we keep. best book for me is Carol Harris's Traditional Pig keeping or the new National trust book Pig Keeping by Richard Lutwyche, both very good and informative.
Hope girls feeling better soon
best mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »
It is Mandy and tbh the only thing I've ever gotten from it was this feeding chart. It's aimed at commercial farmers so didn't hit the right mote with what I was doing but I thought how wrong could that be? I guess for what I'm doing that's not even right.. Back to the bottom of the pile then...
How's your girl doing ?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:15:54 am »
Hi helen
Clover is doing really well with her piglets, the vet gave me some Baytril soluble for her as she's a sod to jab, the trouble is she can smell it in her food and her water and won't touch either so having real trouble getting the right amount into her but am persevering, her under carriage seems to have calmed down a bit and is not as hot so maybe i overeacted (not like me!! :D) but last night she was very agitated and it took me nearly an hour to settle her after her last feed, maybe it was the wind or maybe a fox had been sniffing round, anyway when i checked on her an hour later she was feeding quite contentedly and she seems her usual self this morning, starving hungry never gets fed mode! OH will do her midday feed as i'm at work. Piglets are corkers and daft as brushes!.
best Mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:43:19 am »
That's good news Mandy I'm pleased she doing well now.
I'm toying  with asking vet if Kim should have more ABs, her under carriage is very firm and lumpy again and feeling a bit warm this morning. I managed to get a weight tape and we underestimated her weight by 40 kilos so she didn't get as much as she should have. Don't want to give her too often though.. Guess like humans only when really necessary..

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:04 am »
bettter safe than sorry............

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:07:19 am »
Throw away the Paul Smith (ok donate to charity shop) and get a good up to date one written by a smallholder.  I know a TAS member has written a highly recommended book.  Or else Starting with Pigs by Andy Case, although personally I think his feed chart a little on the low side for my pigs.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:09:25 am »
Sorted... Book in bin and I'm feeding as per advice here girls are eating again and keen and all ready to go out tomorrow.!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
Great, glad all ok   ;D  :pig: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS