Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting land and Holding number help  (Read 6719 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Renting land and Holding number help
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
I am luckly enough to keep my sheep at home along with the horses but i do worry about running out of grass as i keep collecting sheep!,i have been offered 4-8 acres about 5 miles from home which would give me the chance to rest some of my land,the land it is on has its own holding number and they keep sheep,goats and cows,how does it work re holding numbers my ideal plan would be to spilt some of the land and have my sheep on some of it and the other half to have some cattle,when talking to the land owner he said that you couldnt keep 2 sets of cattle on the same land but he wasnt sure on the rules,meant to phone AH today but been so busy.

Thanks

Karen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Renting land and Holding number help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »
If the rented land has its own number you just complete a movement form when they move there and back. It will trigger a standstill for that land, unless the field you are using is an isolation unit. On your annual return you just include your sheep with the other holding number if they are there on Jan 1st, as I guess they are still your responsibility? The other person then has to complete his return with his numbers of sheep as well... not sure the DEFRA computer will like it though... best to talk to AH or maybe SAMU if you are in Scotland.

waterhouse

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:36 pm »
The info I had from Animal Health (England) was to maintain a register for each holding so the AML1 info appears in both.  If one holding is a temporary CPH number then tags and stock numbers all relate back to the main holding but if both are full CPH's then you have to record the annual inventory as of 1st December for each one, and stock born there need to carry that CPH number on their tags.

We have an owned CPH and an adjacent rented CPH and local Trading Standards get confused by the receipt of AML1s where the sheep walk for a few seconds from one to the other.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
Pretty much all my land is rented and from several different landlords so although I have plenty of experience with this, it is still a bugger to get your head round. 

If you continue using your CPH and the other lands CPH you are fine for sheep, however everytime you move any animals from one to the other you will have to complete a movement license and you will incur a standstill as you would if you went from someone else's land. 

When I take on new plots of land I inform DEFRA and the holding is given a temporary grass keep number which means that that number refers to me on that holding and not to anyone else on the land.

Now for cattle:  if you want to move cattle from your holding to the other land you would have to have a TB test prior to moving the cattle and again to move them off again if it has been 60 days since the intial test!  The only way round this is to get an SOA - Sole Occupancy Agreement.  This means that the cattle can move without TB testing and without you incuring a standstill. 

The best solution is to get a temporary grass keep number and an SOA on the land and then you don't interfer with the other tenant or any messing with standstills.  The SOA means defra should send a vet out to check the location etc at their expense - my vets didn't know how to do this and so it took a while to sort it out but it is the best way to be legal.

Any more questions and you are welcome to PM

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:32 pm »
A friend of mine with 800 milkers rents some land and says that he links the holding numbers which makes it into one holding for the purposes of movements and milk quota.  The link has to be renewed annually and only works for land with full CPH numbers.  Have asked him for some detail.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS