Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tamworths had a field day in my veggie plot today....  (Read 4109 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Tamworths had a field day in my veggie plot today....
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:08 pm »
our tammies have been good girls since we got them, well apart from their initial gallop up the field within 20 minutes of arriving here, but went down to feed them today and found them outside my greenhouse having a rare old time to themselves!  they have dug up my turnips, parsnips, eaten half a bed of strawberries and generally churned the whole lot up!

didnt eat up the weeds though the wee bu**ers!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Tamworths had a field day in my veggie plot today....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »
 :D They've had their 5 a day!  :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
Oh ooops !  :-[
Are they permanent residents or going on their holidays soon ?
I always find that once pigs have exhausted the rooting potential in their field that this is when they tend to go off exploring. And being very clever animals once they've gotten out once..................... :-\ Over the years I've progressivly increased pen size just to make sure they're content where they are up to the 'end'. I'd suggest checking all the boundaries of the field and doing any repairs asap, because once they've eaten all your growing goodies they'll be looking for the next place to go (and it might not be so close to home)
And why would they eat your weeds when they've got the option of strawberry plants and turnips  :yum: ::) ;) ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:21 pm »
yeah happyhippy that's what we thought too!  so hubby was busy busy this evening with hammer and nails, big rocks and planks of wood!  no idea what he did but i just left him to it!  the girls were right beside him watching what he was up to and grunting at him so i dont think it will be long before they try again!  good idea to increase pen size, might give that a go tomorrow if we can.

and yes they are only here for their holidays!  on that topic, when do people take tamworths to the abbatoir generally? 

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »
It depends really - would you be looking for lots of bacon/hams or is it more for pork ?
If pork then generally around 6 months (or 85Kg liveweight) if you're wanting bacon they tend to run on til around 10 months (but bearing in mind the very cold winter this year they'll be a bit below those weights for their age)
I had one of my 6 month GOS x's baconed at 6 months, she killed out at around 50Kg (think they tend to advise waiting longer to give a bigger 'eye' in the bacon) and my bacon was a bit smaller than that in the shops - but what it lacked in size, it more than made up for in taste :yum:
HTH
Karen x

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:42:34 pm »
Sorry, should also have said
OR when they become too much of a problem  ;) ;D :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:03 pm »
HOW LONG IS A BIT OF STRING  first thing what size can the slaughter house take (to fit in there scalding tanks)  then what size you want them to go to the bigger the pig the bigger the eye of bacon also if you are doing the cutting yourself it may be easier to handle 50kilos as 90kilos and most important what size they are just now

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »
they were born mid september so about 4.5 months at the mo.  as to what size they are - i dont know how to measure/weigh them!

and yes we want them for both pork and bacon but maybe more bacon than pork if that's possible

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »
The easiest way is to measure their length and girth, then do a simple ??? calculation, more info here
http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/weighing-a-pig-without-a-scale
HTH
Karen

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:50:42 am »
Two christmases in one year, Luck them!!!!!!! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:51:34 am »
At least the vg patch has been well dug and the pigs are happy.  You can think happily as you munch on frozen veg from the supermarket with your super pork.   ;)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:49 pm »
I have two rules for when pigs are ready.

1 - look at the size of the ham, and when it looks about what I am wanting then off they go

2 - when they are too much trouble to look after any longer :D :D  Anyone who has kept pigs will know what I mean :D :D

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:58:56 pm »
I have two rules for when pigs are ready.

1 - look at the size of the ham, and when it looks about what I am wanting then off they go

2 - when they are too much trouble to look after any longer :D :D  Anyone who has kept pigs will know what I mean :D :D

All the best
Sue

I know exactly what you mean!

:pig:  :yum:

PS: My first pig was 125kg.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:01:02 pm by OhLaLa »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:33 am »
If I had only adhered to the second rule Hilary would have been sausages long ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS