Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reassurance needed please  (Read 2426 times)

HappyHippy

Reassurance needed please
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
Hiya,
As you may know my wee Kune Kune sow is due to farrow within the next week. Went up this morning and she was a bit lame, one of her front legs. She's weight bearing on it (only just) and is eating and drinking normally, no sign of a temp and she seems fine in herself. She's still managing to move about, not reluctant to move or anything like that, but it favouring it and limping slightly. There's a bit of swelling below her 'knee' not the joint itself, but just below. It's moderate swelling (not doubled in size or anything so alarming) it's spongy and hot and definately uncomfortable for me to touch, she keeps pulling her leg up when I touch it. I suspect she's either staved it, or possibly been pushed around by the boar and hurt it then. There was no sign of it yesterday evening when she was fed and there's no sign of any injury to the skin itself. After phoning the vet to check for contraindications, I've given her 2ml of metacam with the intention of repeating tomorrow and if there's no improvement by Monday I'll get the vet to come for a look. (BUT they're not hugely experienced with pigs ::)) The boar's back out now - hubby's job from Monday that he didn't get round to ::)so she's looking a bit happier and is settled down fine. We're still about 4 days away  from farrowing I reckon. Today is day 112, but she went to 116 days last time and there's no sign of milk being in yet.
Is there anything else I should be doing (I've done a quick Reiki session on her, nutter that I am ;)) but apart from the metacam is there any other 'conventional' treatment you'd recommend.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Thanks, Karen xx

robert waddell

Re: Reassurance needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:56:59 pm »
we always separate the sow or in pig guilt out from the rest 2 wks before farrowing that lets them get used to there surroundings before they nest build also prevents any bullying and you can devote more time to the expectant mother
not many vets in Scotland are into pigs

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:53:05 pm »
I know nothing about pigs BUT, could she have problems like expectant mothers of human babies do, eg, trapped nerve, swelling due to weight and strain and us humans get the increase of a hormone that softens our joints and that can cause problems. maybe  just sprained herself due to the extra weight!!!!!!!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
could you attach a compress to the area?
hot/cold / comfrey or something?
#hope she is ok HH, and good luck for the farrowing...
Little Blue

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »
It does sound like she's knocked it, or maybe had a bit of an 'off' with the boar.  The Metacam will help, and a bit of rest and a relax before the piglets arrive will do her good.

Hope she's showing some signs of improvement tomorrow, and good luck with the farrowing.  I've got some due in the next few days too.  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:54 pm »
i was also going to suggest a compress or would she let you bathe it in cold water, good luck hope she is ok  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:35:40 pm »
Thanks guys  :wave:
She seemed happier tonight, though the swelling was still there (but it had only been 2 hours since the jag) I'll assess how she is tomorrow before giving the second dose of Matacam and try her with a compress too (didn't think of that !)
Thank you  :-* :-* :-*

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Sorry to hear HH hope she is ok tomorrow. Have you looked to see if there's any homeopathic remedy you can apply? Depends on symptoms but you should be able to type them into homeopathic site and get some recommendations. Might help.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 02:16:36 pm »
Sorry for not responding sooner but nieces 21st this weekend and its been hectic!
Like Lillian we always try to separate well before due date, chances are she's slipped (we have a sow in at the mo with a sprained ankle!) and is a bit tender particularly since shes carrying all that extra piglet weight. Sounds like you're doing the right thing, just keep an eye on her particularly her temeperature.
Good luck
best mandy

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »
Thanks Mandy :-* (and everyone else too  :-* :-* :-*)
I normally have her in about a week to 10 days before, but this time hubby decided to bring her in a bit earlier and bring the boar in for a rest from the field (he felt sorry for him out in the cold ::)) but didn't put him back out when I told him to  >:(
It's all sorted now, Syd positively gallopped back out to his field, so hubby is now reassured that he's happy out there and doesn't feel so sorry for him  ;)
Her leg's still swollen and hot, but I'm giving the second dose of metacam today so hopefully it'll make more of a difference. She's very happy in herself, not off her feet or her food - so I'll just monitor her for the time being and keep an eye on her temp (been okay so far)
Thank you all for your help - I suspect between all of us we probably know more about pigs than my vet does anyway  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS