Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat showing Prep!  (Read 2302 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
Goat showing Prep!
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
Hiya, another question!

do you guys trim or clip your goats in preperation for the show ring? I notice a lot of goats photographed at shows in America have their tail area neatly shaved? I take it we dont do that sort of thing here in the UK?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Goat showing Prep!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »
No we don't trim excessively, although tidying is permitted if it is done very carefully.
Bathing is the biggest operation so it would be a good idea to get the goat/s used to regular baths and wearing lightweight summersheets to keep them clean afterwards.

At one show I actually saw a goat in what could only be described as a full pyjama suit.  Only its feet and head were visible.  Well it was a white goat !!!!!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »
Yay for the Goats in PJs  ;D

now, when you say a bit of trimming, were exactly? my ladies are still in winters coats, but should shed nice and glossy... one hopes!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:05:33 pm »
Generally if you trim it's in the area's where they get dirtiest- their bums, the bits at the side of their bums etc. One thing to note is they sometimes grow hair on their chest in between their legs- its best to trim this to make them look neater. Also, normally trim beards as well.

I have seen goat's completely clipped- but generally it tends to be goats that have proven themselves to be bad at getting rid of their winter coats. If it's just your two goatlings you have, it is unlikely they will have any hugely dirty bits that need trimmed. It's once they turn into heavy milkers, that they tend to be a lot messier, and they will make a point out of finding a horrid bit of poo, sitting in it, and somehow grinding it in! If they are constantly doing that, they can become stained, yellowy brown, and it really is best to trim/clip that.

If you clip completely- it takes 4-5 weeks to grow back, so do it in plenty of time before the show!

Beth

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:29:28 am »
thanks for the tips Beth, I guess I will wait a few months and see how the cast off their coats, I dont want to over primp them, but at the same time I want them to look their best :o)

I am jsut starting to look at the calendar for the shows, an hope we have a couple of new kids to bring out too, will be nice to have 4 on the go this summer  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS