Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughter of gilt after unwanted "attention"  (Read 4431 times)

czechmate

• Joined Mar 2010
Slaughter of gilt after unwanted "attention"
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:35:34 pm »
Hi there. I have two gilts which I was earmarking for killing around the end of March. During today, my boar found one of them too irrisistable and broke out, and in, to get to her. She is around 9 months old. How long is it acceptable, after mating, to kill a gilt? My better half says we should just keep her and have the piglets ::) The gilt is a cross breed, and both different breedsa to the boar, so they would be real mongralls :)
Mark

HappyHippy

Re: Slaughter of gilt after unwanted "attention"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
Mark, real mongrals or not - if raised properly to pork weight they'll taste every bit as good  :yum:
But in answer to your question I personally would keep her and let her have them - just from a moral point of view (not sure of the legalities surrounding it, or indeed if there are any ???) this is of course assuming she's been caught. Watch her closely in 3 weeks time for signs of being in season. If she displays the signs of being in season you know for sure that she's not in-pig and so slaughter plans would not be affected. And move her as far away from your boar as soon as possible in case he decides to repeat his adventures tomorrow  ;) ;D :love:
HTH
Karen

czechmate

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:53:49 am »
Ok, he got both gilts ::) Both now heavily pregnant and due this week. These gilts, then soon sows, are now just over a year (welsh/OSB) and weigh (pregnant) 280 LB. So, after weaning, what will these pigs be suitable for? Only sausages?, or ham, bacon and sausages?
Thanks
Mark

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:55:06 am »
Personally i'd say the whole lot; we have done this with a youngish gilt and when slaughtered we used her carcass just as we would any other and the meat was lovely.We found we ended up with a nice lean carcass we let her go a few weeks post weaning then had her slaughtered.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
let the piglets draw there mother down (not to the stage she is skin and bone)   then fatten her up you will get the best bacon you could possibly hope for       all products will be good    enjoy :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:05:03 am »
Mark, I think you've got a bit hung up on pedigrees!  A pig is a pig - it tastes the same whether it has a pedigree like the Queen (or my dogs) or is a mongrel like you and me (assuming you ain't royalty!) and so long as it is reared well.  and I'm sure these piglets will be!  The same goes for their Mums!

So these will be suitable for all cuts of meat!  Your boar has done you a service as well as your girls - more pork to sell for very little outlay! ;) ;D  
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
Here in France its very common for a sow to be slaugtered after young are weaned as it is supposed to produce the most succulent of pork. 

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:59 am »
We sent two 14 months old off a few weeks ago - We've had our usual cuts of meat (joints, chops, sauagemeat etc) and a whole freezer full of the most wonderful smoked back bacon, streaky and smoked ham joints ... ours are crossed and much tastier than our pure breds from last year  ;D :yum: :pig:

czechmate

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys :)
Loosey - do the chops fit on a plate? :o
Hilarysmum - How long does "after" mean? About 3 weeks to recondition?
Doganjo - Yes, I suppose he has done me a service ;D, its just that it means my herd is a bit oversize at the mo (esp. with the value of feed)

Cheers

Mark

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:42:13 am »
Some go straight from weaning, others after a couple of weeks to recover.  (I dont do this I know many people who do).  One friend breeds from every gilt in order to produce this meat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS