Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: practical pigs magazine  (Read 8030 times)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
Re: practical pigs magazine
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 07:30:02 am »
It's being sent to all members because it is replacing the usual BPA newsletter. Instead of the newsletter, there are eight pages of BPA news inside the magazine. It's a way of saving costs for the BPA and, they hope, a way of getting more people to read their news, as it's now more attractively-presented.

Yes, but we're not members so no idea why we got it.
We have also spied it on the shelves of WHS.

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:21 pm »
i got it too, no idea why either !

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »
I am an International Member of the BPA - breeding Berkshires in France. I received the magazine. Great first edition especially as it featured the Berkshire. Will be circulating it around our small holders group here in SW France, many of them first time pig keepers.

Raindrops

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »
Maybe they targetted other people who have bought registered stock but aren't members, in the hope of recruiting more. Or maybe potential advertisers? Sorry, but don't know anything about either of you, so have no idea what pigs you have. Just a thought.

The other thought (purely cynical, but having worked as a journalist for almost 30 years, and knowing the way newspapers and magazines work), in order to be able to say they have a circulation or readership (two different things) of xx000, they have to actually distribute sufficient copies.

This is important when pitching to potential advertisers, e.g. if they were trying to get a big feed manufacturer on board, the big carrot to dangle would be saying that the magazine would reach xx000 potential customers. But, of course, just SAYING that would be dishonest, so some publications will distribute free copies (at a cost of pennies to them) in order to achieve the circulation/readership figures they want.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a pretty good stab at a first magazine - albeit a little basic for the more experienced BPA members. It's a difficult line to tread - choice between over-simplifying or talking over people's heads. Be interesting to see how it develops. Always good to see a new publication launched.

Enjoy your free magazines.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 11:20:33 pm »
Whilst we are on the subject of magazines, does any one know what ever happened to the "pig Farmer" magazine?
Been searching about to try and find it but had no joy!!!!!

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 08:19:54 am »
Not sure about the advertising - wanted to be in the Breeders Directory but the BPA said they were not accepting advertising from France. I also worked on magazines and we never turned away any potential revenue.   I get a number of enquiries from other countries in the EU - which comes through the listing I have in the Berkshire Pig Breeders Club. So it would have been an additional opportunity to promote the breed. However I am still looking forward to the next issue.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS