Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black Rocks  (Read 4492 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Black Rocks
« on: December 14, 2010, 09:55:49 am »
I would like to get some Black Rock day olds in the spring to expend the laying flock. I have emailed RA Lovett twice, phoned twice and left masseages and had NIL response. Is it me? Has anybody had any luck getting a response?

bamford6

Re: Black Rocks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55:37 am »
RA Lovet im a black rock man he is very bissey at the moment peter siddons wife died a couple off weeks a go Eddie had all the stock off the siddens and he will be helping there il let him no or leave message on face book
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:18:43 pm by bamford6 »

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:23 am »
I tried phoning them a few months ago & was put through to some old biddy who sounded like she was a bit hoity toity.

She was all Mr Lovatt this, Mr Lovatt that ... felt like asking her if the sun shone out his backside too   ::)

Needless to say, i don't think i'll be phoning back in a hurry.

Try Colin Kerr at Drum, Rosemary... he's on the agents map. Not sure if he's still going, as he took a stroke earlier this year, but worth a call.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:40 pm »
s,truth there dying of like their old hens

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:47:38 pm »
RA Lovet im a black rock man he is very bissey at the moment peter siddons wife died a couple off weeks a go Eddie had all the stock off the saddens and he will be helping there il let him no or leave message on face book

That's a shame. We used to buy day olds direct from Muirfield. I understood that Peter Siddons had retired and that R A Lovett had bought all the Black Rock foundation stock, plus the name etc.

I'll keep trying by phone and email.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

Keep trying Rosemary, 'tis a funny old place to be sure.  We went there a few months ago on our way to a wedding reception (hence me in full highland dress!). I thought I'd landed up at a bus scrapyard by mistake, but knocked the door anyway. "Och, you'll be wanting fireworks then?" said the man. "Er, no, two sacks of layers pellets actually" said I. "Ah, right you are" he said, and promptly sold me a couple (all fine, and very friendly).  I guess I can understand his misunderstanding, but it did make us laugh at the time!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:13 pm »
rosemary what area are you in

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
Try this link.  Not sure how upto date is is, but might help.

http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/Black_Rock_Hen_Agents.html

Pete

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:33:13 pm »
I have a feeling it's a bit out of date. Someone told me that Colin Kerr had been ill too. But I'll give him a ring anyway.

Peachy

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
We sent an email to Eddie Lovatt last Thursday looking for 2 POL Black Rock pullets.  He replied on Friday and said just to phone when we were arriving to make sure someone would be there.  On Sunday we collected our Black Rocks and had a blether with Eddie who was very pleasant.  Chickens have settled in well and we have just had our first egg today  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
I've spoken to Eddie a couple of times now and have 40 BR day-olds ordered and hopefully coming next week.

They were very busy over Christmas - they do fireworks and Calor gas as well, so both were much in demand over the festive season.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

Have you thought of becoming an agent Rosemary?  You could take at day old, and sell at POL - sure there would be plenty of takers.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS