Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roast Chesnuts  (Read 3440 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
Roast Chesnuts
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »
Can anyone tell me where to get them please? tryed them up a snow covered mountain in spain years ago and never since!! Also do you just raost in the oven or the half 45gallon drum best?

Craig
Craig

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Roast Chesnuts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:03 pm »
Pick them up from under the tree  ::) too late this year. You'll have to get them from the market or the (house of the devil) supermarket. The same species grow in the UK but they are smaller due to the shorter growing season. I have 3 quality street tins full in my cellar  :D. They last well in the fridge and dry out and go hard if you leave them out.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »
thank you lazzybee, ithought spanish chesnuts were diff from ours, so where you get them? no markets round here lol
Craig

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
From under the trees. I go back to the same tree every year. There's loads around but this particular tree has mahoosive nuts. Don't tell anyone when you find a good tree. I used to have it all to myself but now I am competing with an old git who seems to want buckets and buckets full.  Selfish old sod >:(

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:38:32 pm »
 Your local greengrocer or supermarket should have chestnuts most likely from Italy

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »
then into the oven Daisey?
Craig

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »
We put ours in a baking tray on top the woodburner give the tin a shake to turn them over -  a little bit of salt delicous  :yum: :yum:

Didn't know the bit about keeping in the fridge - thanks for that info lazybee, do you keep in poly bag of plastic container? putting mine in fridge right now...
You are never to old to learn something new

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:05:47 am »
They are a bit of a pain to keep. they need to be dry without being dried, if you know what I mean. If they're damp on the outside they'll go moldy. I dry them for about three or four days (When I pick my own) then put them in the cellar in tins. If they come from the shop they can go straight in the fridge (or cellar).

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:58:21 am »
I have been known to cook them in the microwave  and quite often eat them raw  :o  ;D bit of a faff getting the inside skin off tho

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS