Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coops  (Read 7979 times)

moorlander

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
Re: Coops
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »
I agree with the above. I got a box-shaped coop (for 6 hens!!?) plus a run off ebay for £20. I discovered that its new price (and mine was 'as new') was over £300 - robbery! I would not use it everday for my chickens - I use it only as an isolation hospital and nothing more. In my opinion, three hens would be overcrowded in it!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 07:54:03 pm »
Hi BIkerene,

regarding the cleaning, the roof of the coop lifts off, the floor of the coop slides out, the front door opens and the nest box roof lifts up. If you want to do a deep clean in you can just remove the 12 lond woodscews that hold it together, scrum it out and leave it to dry in the sun.

regarding the perches, the roosting bars are set at a hight that prevents them pooping on the heads of any birds who are not on the pearch. as the coop is up off the ground I found that mine were happy to pearch on them as they weren't getting any drafts or cold striking up from the floor. We did put a couple of batons in it and tried putting the perches higher but my birds wernt too keen. the lighter birds liked them (the hamburghs and the chicks) but the heavier birds didn't like jumping down.

When I got my first hens I found that this type of coop was on ebay for £90 complete with run and I only wanted a few hens in my garden so it was sufficient. I have moved house since and have much more space so my hen numbers have increasd as has my hoby of hatching chicks. I recently bought a shed and am building a run which will accomodate more birds but will cost much more than the ebay coop. I still use the little coops though so they have been a good investment for me.

Thing that I have found is that chickens are like people, they are all different! ;) They are also adaptable and grow fond of anything familiar. Im sure that as long as you get something that is water proof and draft free and that is well ventilated and easy to clean, your birds will be very happy.

If you happen to be in Yorkshire sometime before you need to buy your coop, you would be welcome to have a look at mine and make your own mind up.

Buffy

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:15:03 am »
Just to say I agree with Moorlander - you will end up wanting more than just two so better make sure the house is big enough to cope! Chickens are addictive  ;D
Anne's point is a good one - easy to clean if you can stand up inside - however I copped out and bought one of those expensive plastic yuppy ones that I can just powerhose  :-\ Am embarrassed to confess that on here ...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 12:43:27 pm »
Just to say I agree with Moorlander - you will end up wanting more than just two so better make sure the house is big enough to cope! Chickens are addictive  ;D
Anne's point is a good one - easy to clean if you can stand up inside - however I copped out and bought one of those expensive plastic yuppy ones that I can just powerhose  :-\ Am embarrassed to confess that on here ...
Don't be, Val, I wish I had a plastic one, because no matter how hard you try a wooden shed is never 100% clean
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bikerene

• Joined Nov 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »
Thanks Buffy for the offer of a visit, if I was nearer I would take you up on the offer! Your setup sounds like a good one!  Vair can I ask what plastic one you have gone for and are you pleased with your purchase? I would worry a bit that the hens would freeze in the Artic conditions we are having just now in Scotland. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS