Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass Sickness's little brother  (Read 2690 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Grass Sickness's little brother
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:29:54 pm »

I have just received our vets autumn/witer newsletter and there is an article in it about "atypical myoglobinuria", which I had never heard of so I hope others find it helpfull. My vets are in the Scottish Borders and had 2 cases last year

It is associated with sudden deterioration in the weather and is now widespread in northern europe. It has many similarities with grass sickness.
 It tends to affect either individual or groups of horses at pasture.
 It has a high mortality rate. Up to 89% of affected horses are reported to die or need to be put to sleep.
 It tends to affect animals that receive little or no supplementary feed.
 The trigger factor appears to be a sudden adverse change in weather conditions, such as a frost or heavy rain (again similar to grass sickness)
 Little is known about what causes the disease.
 Many believe it is caused by the ingestion of a pasture-derived clostridial toxin (which is also the case for grass sickness)
 Unlike grass sickness however it tends to be most prevelant in late autumn and early winter

Signs to be on the lookout for are.....

Sudden dramatic muscle weakness or stiffness in a horse or horses at pasture and not related to excessive or unusual exercise
 Collapse or inability to stand
 Usually the temperature, breathing and heart rate are normal
 Initially affected horses may be quite bright,even willing to eat and drink while lying down
 Some horses can have difficulty breathing or show colicy signs
 Like other forms of muscle injury the urine is characteristically thick and dark red/brown
 On bloods muscle enzymes are usually high

Treatment needs to be early and aggressive if the horse is to have a chance of survival
 This means drips, anti-inflammatory medication and intensive nursing.

Like grass sickness where there has been a positive diagnosis, other horses in the same field should be moved either into stables or a barn or at
  least onto different pasture. They should be givensupplementary feeding and have blood taken to check their muscle enzyme levels.

Ensuringthat there is adequate grass and giving supplimentary feeding is also advisable when adverse weather places young stock at risk!
Anne

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Grass Sickness's little brother
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »
gosh that is interesting reading thanks for posting it  :horse:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:08:24 pm »
God, something else to worry about  ::)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »
Hellybee here :0 as i cant sign in on my login.

Terrible thing to happen, been aware of it for while,  it worries me in the winter.   Some say that leaf litter and and the likes falling on wet ground can help bacteria/spores to appear in the rotting litter, ponies go foraging ......... terrifies me  :o

We offer haylage daily and i also give balancer , some have top spec, some have a low calorie alternative, so i know they re all having theyre nutrients.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS