Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello Smallholders  (Read 3950 times)

SisterKaff

• Joined Nov 2008
Hello Smallholders
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:15:41 pm »
An interesting forum, I'm glad I came across it.
I don't have any land over here in England, where I've had to return for economic reasons. I miss the large allotment type garden I had in France. I'm hoping to return there soon, and the way things are going in the world economy, I'll be going back there sooner than I thought! I used to grow a good mix of vegetables, the only type my soil didn't favour were beans. Carrots and parsnips were fantastic. I'm interested in gleening food from woods and hedgerows, and where ever possible  mend clothes, shoes, utensils, buildings, you name it, don't chuck it. I'm a good woods-woman, living in a house where for seven years our only source of heat was a wood-burning stove. I could go on, suffice to say : I'd love a small holding!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Hello Smallholders
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »
Hi sisterkaff, I have an excellent book on wild fruit and nut gathering by geoffrey eley pub in 1976, loads of hedgrow recipes and all the folklore surrounding trees etc, weve had a wood burning stove for many years and theres no other heat like it!        welcome to the forum..................neil

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:12 pm »
Hi here in Brittany we cut our own wood for our only source of heat a woodburning stove.  During winter use it to cook and heat water as well.  I would love to utilise the mushrooms which abound here, but am worried that I might mistake a chicken of the woods or a sep for something inedible.  Where in France were you, and where would you like to move to when you come back?  HM

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:36 pm »
Just been watching Hugh F-W. Fantastic programme where they went foraging and produced a wonderful meal for 14 with nature's bounty.  He mentioned a scheme which I am just going to investigate - Landshare (on Channel 4 website)  whereby people with large gardens or land can allow others to use it tog row veg etc and they share the produce.  Sounds a great idea.  Might work for you, SisterKaff.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
Hi, Kaff and welcome.

I just watched the programme too. Very interesting. There's a grey squirrel cull going on near here at the moment, to take the pressure of the reds. Don't see many in the local butchers though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:52:15 pm »
Those kebab starters looked interesting, might try that with chicken giblets at Christmas.  Not sure I could eat squirrel, nor bunny for that matter.  I've registered for Landshare so if anyone wants to try it, I'm happy for a bit of my half acre at the front to be fenced off (protection from marauding ducks and dogs ;) )and veg beds laid, for a share in the produce. I'll help care for them too.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:17:49 pm »
Hi and welcome from someone else in Brittany who only has wood for heating, and boy has it been cold these last few days.

Yet again missed the programme, is it repeated anytime again soon please?
Squirrel, not sure about, but bunny YES PLEASE.

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:38:41 am »
It was a fab programme as always, and is on weekly so you can catch the next one Carole.

We too are freezing here in Normandy, with wood for the fire in the main living room.  God I miss radiators!!

Welcome to TAS SisterKaff - are you a nun by any chance? We could do with someone of the cloth on here to keep a few of us in check!!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS