Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My OH wants to build our Pig Hut,some advice needed please!  (Read 3818 times)

Mel

My OH wants to build our Pig Hut,some advice needed please!
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:34:46 pm »
 :)Hi all,my OH wishes to build our pig hut and was contemplating using OSB of 11mm on the sides.he sais it shall be ok if he battons it every couple of feet with thick wood,I am not too sure,when I was a youngster we had pigs on our farm,I would not have though the 11mm osb would hold them in?! and advice would be appreciated!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: My OH wants to build our Pig Hut,some advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:41:37 pm »
it should be fine. cheaper than a bought one.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »
Personally I dont think 11mm OSB will do the job.

If you must use OSB then use 18mm

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »
Let him go ahead and do it his way - that way when the pigs knock it to bits you can stand there and say "I told you so"  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I'd agree that 18mm would be better and stronger, ideally marine ply will give you the longest life BUT if you've already got 11mm stuff kicking about use it, just put some very strong braces on the edges and corners (especially round the door) If it's to house some weaners to pork weight it should withstand the abuse, but if you're looking to keep adult pigs then definately go for the heavier stuff. And screw everything together with the biggest, heaviest screws you can find - nails just don't do the job.
HTH
Karen x

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:57:13 am »
Let him go ahead and do it his way - that way when the pigs knock it to bits you can stand there and say "I told you so"  ;) ;D ;D ;D

The truth is out now ladies!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »
We had one built from solid pallets, it'll see me out!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »
yup thats what we have done. solid floors and overlapping sides so the water runs down it. and cheap ply on the roof. its only intended for these weaners once they are gone. the sections will become a chuck house.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35:04 pm »
I bought a poly-whatsit calf hutch, second hand. It has done very very well with my two porkers. It is in the same condition as it was 6 months ago. and it only cost 50 squid, i couldnt have made one cheaper..It was a perfect size for two...and it even has a little chinmey to allow excess heat out on the hot days. I bolted on some marine ply for a base and hey presto.. It will double as a lamb shelter in the spring, too (without the base). ----Even better value for money. ;D ;D ;D

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS